Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-p0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently when i restart my computer i get three long, three short beep code that repeats 5 times before the system boots normally. It takes about 2 - 4 minutes to restart now because of it. Any idea how to fix this?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Sorestlor,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Three beeps that repeat after a pause and occur when you power on your computer indicate a problem with the system memory.

In this scenario, I would suggest the next step would be to reseat the memory and graphics card on your PC. 

You may refer to this support document for - HP Desktop PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. The computer does turn on after repeating the beep code about 5 times and it does use the GPU properly as I have been using it for over a year and have not noticed any performance decrease.

HP Recommended

@Sorestlor,

In this scenario, I would suggest here is to update the Bios on your PC. 

You may refer to this support document for - HP Consumer Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Once done, you can try to do a Bios defaults

Use the BIOS Setup Utility to restore the factory installed BIOS settings.

1. In the BIOS Setup utility, select the File tab.

2. Select Apply Defaults and Exit, the BIOS setup utility closes, and the computer boots into Windows.

I hope this information help. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

Take care and have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The hp support assistant has no bios updates. I tried to get to the BIOS Setup Utility. I turned off the computer then pressed the power button to turn it on. I started pressing escape quickly and the beeping started. 3 long 3 short and after repeating that a few times, while pressing escape over and over the whole while, the beeping stopped and the windows login screen appeared. No hp omen logo or anything. From black screen to windows login. Any further assistance is appreciated.

HP Recommended

@Sorestlor,

This seems to be a possible hardware failure. I would recommend you run an extensive test on the computer from F2.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second.

When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are

shown on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) so you have it

available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in

Test Logs on the main menu.

Depending on the test results, I would recommend you contact our HP support team for further assistance. 

HP support team can be reached on this link

Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

Take care and have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I held the power button until the computer shut off abrubtly. I pressed the power button and immediately pressed escape once or twice a second about. I never see any menu appear. The first thing that happens is it starts beeping, then their is a pause with a black screen and then there is the windows login screen. I will try it again with the keyboard that came with the computer.

HP Recommended

The solution to get into the menu was to use the keyboard that came with the computer. For some reason my corsair keyboard didn't let me enter this menu on boot. After using the f10 option which your previously recommended the problem was resolved.

Thanks alot!

HP Recommended

@Sorestlor,

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out.

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help.

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It turns out the problem still persists. It occurs still when my samsung 144 hz monitor with freesync is plugged into the 1070 graphics card via the display port connector. If i unplug it and leave my second monitor only then it works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.