Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 750-060qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I do not know if this is connected to the December 9th, 2016 automatic update of Windows 10 from Microsoft, but today (Dec 11th) is the first time I've tried to use it since, and everything on my computer desktop froze after a few minutes of use.  After the hard reset I tried, the hp sign came up with the spinning dots that occurs during waiting.  Then the hp sign disappeared with spinning dots that now have lasted several hours (after my last hard reset).  Earlier today I tried hard resets several times, and used recovery manager, and received a message that the system could not be refreshed, nor could I use the last restore point.  So I backed up all my user data and document files onto an old external hard drive using recovery manager. 

Should I wait to see if this is a Windows 10 update issue that will somehow be fixed, or should I reset to factory specs (my computer was delivered with Windows 8.1, with Windows 10 installed a few months later)?  Is my issue a known issueknown to be associated with this Dec 9th Windows 10 update?  If this is a problem of this Windows 10 update with the HP Envy 750-060qe, can HP report the issue to Microsoft? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Reset failed, however, I was able to restore not to the previous restore point (which for some reason failed) but to the restore point just before that one.  Thankfully all my user files are automatically backed up on a separate hard drive, which was not overwritten during the restore process.  I will need to copy files that were created and saved between the next to last saved restore point and today, however that will be only about twenty files.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Ucaman

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. I read your post about your HP ENVY Desktop - 750-060qe and understand that post a Windows update, the PC will not boot into Windows. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

Seems like the Windows OS is corrupt and has impacted the recovery partition too. Ideally, the recovery partition should come to our rescue in such situations. I read that the refresh option and the system restore did not work. You have definitely made a wise decision of backing up your data. 

If you perform a system recovery, then your PC will go back to its original factory condition and will have Win8.1 on it. You may not be able to perform a free upgrade to Win10 because it has been stopped by Microsoft. I would suggest you to perform a system recovery if the refresh and system restore option are not working. 

It is difficult to find out if the Dec 9th Windows 10 update caused this to happen. But for sure there has been some glitch in the operating system. Let me know how it goes. I'm always here to support. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks M Kazi.  Soon after installing Windows 10, I made a Windows 10 Bootable Recovery USB.  I'm not certain how to boot from this.  Can you advise?  

HP Recommended

Reset failed, however, I was able to restore not to the previous restore point (which for some reason failed) but to the restore point just before that one.  Thankfully all my user files are automatically backed up on a separate hard drive, which was not overwritten during the restore process.  I will need to copy files that were created and saved between the next to last saved restore point and today, however that will be only about twenty files.

HP Recommended

@Ucaman

Thanks for replying. I'm glad it's working. Hope it stays that way, Feel free to let me know if you have any further questions. Cheers! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.