Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
TouchSmart 610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I shut down my desktop earlier this morning with the normal power off process. When I went to turn it back on this evening all I get is a set of 5 beep with a yellow light blinking above the power switch. This repeats five times then the beeping stops and only the yellow flashing continues. I can hear and feel the hard drive running. I've tried disconnecting the power and then plugging it back in but the same thing happens. If I push and hold in on the power button in, it sounds as if the hard drive stops and restarts. The normal blue light comes on for a few seconds then goes out and is replaced by the blinking yellow light. Anybody got any clue as to what the issue may be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Normally 5 beeps means there is a problem with the memory.

I suggest you remove and reseat the memory modules, and if that doesn't resolve the problem, if your PC has two memory modules, remove one and see if the beeping goes away.

If it does, remove that module and put the first one in you removed and if the beeping starts again you have found the bad memory chip.

If it doesn't, remove that module and put the second one in you removed and if the beeping stops, you have found the bad memory chip.

Then replace the defective memory module with one with the same specifications.

If the beeping continues despite trying those steps, then either both memory chips are bad (unlikely), or the motherboard has a problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Normally 5 beeps means there is a problem with the memory.

I suggest you remove and reseat the memory modules, and if that doesn't resolve the problem, if your PC has two memory modules, remove one and see if the beeping goes away.

If it does, remove that module and put the first one in you removed and if the beeping starts again you have found the bad memory chip.

If it doesn't, remove that module and put the second one in you removed and if the beeping stops, you have found the bad memory chip.

Then replace the defective memory module with one with the same specifications.

If the beeping continues despite trying those steps, then either both memory chips are bad (unlikely), or the motherboard has a problem.

HP Recommended

Ok, thank you. I'll try to figure out what the memory module is and where it is located. At least this is a start. I got a feeling I'm headed to the store for a new one at the end of the day.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There should be a maintenance and service guide or upgrade guide on your PC's support page, which will give you instructions for how to access the memory modules.

HP Recommended

I'm check it out. Thank you! 

HP Recommended

Went through the process of reseating the boards and then trying them one at a time. No luck, beeping still continues. One thing I did note was that when the computer first starts the fan comes on for 1 - 2 seconds then shuts off. Could that be the issue or is it on a temperature sensor which starts and stops it as needed?

HP Recommended

I'm thinking the motherboard has a problem and needs to be replaced.

But since I am not a PC repair tech by trade or training, that is just my opinion.

See this general troubleshooting guide for HP desktops--Appendix A, page 56, which basically contains the same info, troubleshooting steps and possible causes.

While this manual is written for business PC's, I believe the beep codes are standard.

For example:  I know that 6 beeps in a consumer desktop PC is a video issue, just like with a business PC, and 5 beeps is a memory issue, just like with a business PC.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3459241&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.