Level 1
14 10 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Touchsmart 600 Hard Disk Failure is Imminent

HP Recommended
Touchsmart 600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Suddenly on start up my computer has a black screen and last sentence is Hard Disk Failure is Imminent ST 3100058AS and press F2 to contiunue.  If I press F2, everything is fine and computer starts up.  Is there any way to avoid this error message and should I be concerned about it.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,870 24,522 2,863 10,564
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RosemaryNJ, welcome to the forum.

This message is telling you that your hard drive is about to fail.  You should backup your personal data and replace the hard drive with one the same size or larger.

Here is a guide to help you test the hard drive from the BIOS.  Also, here is a guide to help you replace the hard drive.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
RosemaryNJ
Author
Level 1
14 10 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Do you know what model number hard drive I must purchase? I am looking on Amazon. How will I get Windows 10 onit? I have disks that came with Touchsmart 600 but they are Windows 10. I was able to get a free upload of 10 when it first came out.
Thanks
0 Kudos
RosemaryNJ
Author
Level 1
14 10 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Meant disks that came are Windows 7
0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @RosemaryNJ.

I need the full model or product number of the computer to review the specifications.  Please don't provide the Serial # or other personal information.  Here is a guide to help you find the information.

0 Kudos
RosemaryNJ
Author
Level 1
14 10 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Model Number is Touchsmart 600-1215xt
Product number is WS331AV#ABA.
Thanks so much. I will order on Amazon and maybe get installation if I can’t do it myself. Hope my drive doesn’t fail too soon so can copy data.
Thanks so much
Rosemary
0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @RosemaryNJ.

I am going to recommend that you give some thought to upgrading your hard drive to a SSD.  Here is a SSD that would give you good storage and improve the performance by leaps and bounds for not much more money than a standard hard drive.

Here is a hard drive that is similar to the one installed in your computer.

You should be able to buy one locally for not much more.  I suggest that you watch the video in the guide that I provided to decide if you feel comfortable doing the install.  You will most likely get a better deal on a drive if you buy it from the shop that installs it, if you decide not to try the install.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

0 Kudos
RosemaryNJ
Author
Level 1
14 10 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I don’t think I want to invest the money on ssd as Touchsmart 600 is 2010 so something else might go wrong. I am not confident even installing the green WD one. I was going to buy it on Amazon and pay the $119 for the expert installation which included getting my data off old drive. The local guy wanted $300 to install black WD. I thought that was a lot.
Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation