Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750

Every time I open up my desktop it makes me select a new language for my keyboard, then takes me to a “Choose an option” page where the 2 options are “Troubleshoot - reset your PC or see advanced options” or “Turn off your PC”

When I click “Troubleshoot” it takes me to a page with six new options.

System restore-

Use a restore point recorded on your pc to restore windows

Startup Repair-

Fix problems that keep Windows from loading 

Go back to the previous version

System Image Recovery-

Recover Windows using a specific system image file 

Command Prompt-

Use the command prompt for advanced troubleshooting 

UEFI Firmware settings-

change settings in your PC’s UEFI firmware

When I try system restore it greets me with a little error window saying “To use system restore you must specify which windows installation to restore.”... “restart this computer, and then select system restore” I’ve reset the PC twice with no luck on this option. (Greeted by the same message)

I’ve also tried the Startup Repair option, it diagnoses the problems and switches to attempting to fix the problems but then greets me with “Startup repair couldn’t repair your PC- Press “advanced options” to try other options to repair your PC or “Shut Down” to turn off your PC Log file:

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You are in a no win situation. You can't do a system restore and you can't repair.

You may have to remove the HDD. Install the HDD in a HDD SATA to USB 3.0 adapter.

Connect this adapter to a different PC using USB 3.0 so you can copy data from the current, corrupted, Windows installation to a second PC or another external USB storage device.

Reconnect the HDD to your PC.

Install Windows clean on the HDD using Windows Installation media. It looks like you may have Windows 10. You can create W10 installation media at this site (Link).

Move your previously saved data per above back to the HDD.

You will have to reinstall any programs you have installed on the original HDD. You will have to tweak user settings.

A very good way to avoid this in the future is to use disk imaging software.

I use Macrium Reflect Free (Link) for this purpose. Having a good disk image and USB recovery media usually makes all of the above operating system recovery hassles go away when Windows breaks. No recovery method is 100% effective. Macrium helps greatly to reduce risk.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.