cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emjayess
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Trying to donate to child - Factory reset hung up at 5%, shut down and died.

HP Recommended
Envy 23-1060
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

We bought new computers a year ago. We became aware of kids in the area without computers and decided to donate our two Envy 23-1060 All-In-One computers.

The first went through the factory reset flawlessly and is happy in a new home.

The second started the reset, then the twirling icon froze at 5%, the computer shut down and died. Repeated unplugging and starting got the computer to start. Cycled through "restart" several times and issue seemed gone. Restarted process. This time it froze at 100% and did not shut down or attempt to restart. After 40 minutes, I assisted the shutdown (unplugged it). After plugging/unplugging/starting it finally came on. Everything seemed okay. Restarted multiple times without problem. Delivered to child. Got a call before I left the parking lot. Dead computer. Unplugged, replugged, on, off dozens of times and it booted. Restarted. Shut it down and attempted restart. No. Dead. No response from screen.

These came with windows 7, got upgraded to windows 10. I've tried recovery discs for both (and XP) but computer will not boot from external - even with HD removed.

BIOS problem? Tried using DOS USB to flash the BIOS, but again, it won't boot. I can't hook the HD up to another computer because I don't have the wires and it looks like a proprietary connector - at least one I am not familiar with.

There is no HDMI port to verify the screen works. At start, CD drive spins, then stops. Just no boot or can't read it. Tried USB in all ports including the hidden port for wireless dongle.

The screen is dead - no power. The Hard Drive spins. Windows recovery disc will not boot from cd. Windows recovery will not boot from USB. DOS USB will not boot. Ubuntu CD and USB will not boot.

Any suggestions? The soul crushed look on this kids face is haunting me...

2 REPLIES 2
Dudefoxlive
Level 9
1,335 1,294 83 174
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

sounds like it is failing POST.  This can be caused by failing Hardware.  AKA Motherboard, Ram, etc.

Please remember to select the answer
0 Kudos
emjayess
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was leaning towards hardware issues, but seems so random. Just the day before, the kids had friends over and one was using it to play World of Warcraft with no issues for about 6 hours. It was used weekly up to the reset - always shutdown when not in use.

Very curious. No way I can tell that little boy that life dealt him another bad hand. Under the circumstances, does anybody know a repair shop in SoCal that would take a look at it for free? Will pay for repairs if needed.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation