5 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Two Hard Drives Are Out Of Sync

750-420qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

My HP Desktop 750-420qe has 2 hard drives. The “C” drive has a 118GB capacity, and the “D” drive has a 1.80 TB capacity. I don’t know why the HP factory set this up for the smaller drive to be the main one, but that one is almost filled to capacity. I’m thinking of reformatting my hard drives, but this time being sure the D drive is my main (C). Is there anywhere in the forum that tells me how to do this (the changing of the drives, not the reformatting). Thanks for any help. Gregg

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
83,115 83,007 10,419 22,349
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Lips1962

>>>>  I’m thinking of reformatting my hard drives, but this time being sure the D drive is my main (C)

Sorry to say: that is the bad choice/option. The way system setup:

1. use small but faster to store Windows and some programs/applications and
  2. use larger (capacity) to stora user data and may be other programs/applications (if supported).

Now, please set 😧 as default storage then move all user files/data to 😧 to free up C: . Please use the following tutorial to set it up

https://www.howtogeek.com/245706/how-to-change-the-default-hard-drive-for-saving-documents-and-apps-...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Highlighted
5 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Banhien.

Thank you for your fast reply!  I did go down the list and changed everything to my "D" drive (after I reset my entire computer to factory specs).  However, when I put my Canon printer software on, it still went to the "C" drive.  I double checked, and everthing I switched from "C" to "D" was confirmed.  Why did this happen?  Gregg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  When I put my Canon printer software on, it still went to the "C" drive. 

How much disk-space did it consume? Probably, "not much".  Don't worry about it.  You've moved "most" of your personal files to the 'D:' drive.

> I double checked, and everthing I switched from "C" to "D" was confirmed.  Why did this happen?

The programmer at Canon who wrote the "installer" program did not allow the software to be installed to an alternate drive-letter.  Sigh.

Really try to keep the 'C:' drive for booting & running Windows, and nothing else.

Keep your programs and your personal files on 'D:'.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
83,115 83,007 10,419 22,349
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Lips1962 wrote:

....  However, when I put my Canon printer software on, it still went to the "C" driuve...

Hi,

I did say above NOT all programs/applications allow you to switch from C: to D:. Some applications won't allow you to swap but they may still allow you to store user files on 😧

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation