Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570-P060ND
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

UEFI Firmware Settings: Restart now, while pressing and holding down the F10 key, gives me the message "no signal" and the screen becomes black. I do not know how to get into the BIOS. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Dean,

I finally found out that it is indeed my newly bought monitor HP 24o that is the culprit. Moving the cable up and down suddenly showed me the blue menu screen with BIOS etc. I was able to install Ubuntu, but unfortunately the screen gave me the famous "no signal" again and was all black after a restart. i cannot not figure out why I do get Windows, but everything else (BIOS menu, start from DVD, UEFI firmware settings etc.) give me this black screen most of the time.

I have now decided to contact HP customer service to see if I can get another moitor.

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

I have seen where the process does not work as hoped.  Before starting, start tapping on the Esc key, 2-3 times per second.  Then press the mechanical start button while still tapping.  Keep tapping until the popup menu with choices appears, there will be a chance to pick BIOS from that menu.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hello Dean, Unfortunately this doesn't work either. I tapped Esc 100 times, but to no avail. I did the same with F10, without success. I might try Del, F2, F6 or whatever, but I am afraid that won't work either. Why does HP make it so hard to enter theBIOS. I need to enter it because I want to dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu. I work for Gnome/Ubuntu as a documentation writer/translator.

HP Recommended

The first post indicates "Restart now, while pressing and holding down the F10 key, gives me the message "no signal" and the screen becomes black."  What happened with the method I described?

Does the PC boot normal if you do nothing but start?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Like you suggested, I tapped Esc 2-3 times every second. But after less than a minute, I get the message "no signal", the screen turns black, and the led on my monitor turns from white to orange. To get the signal back I tap all the function keys on the keyboard and Control-alt-Del. If I am lucky the signal turns back and I get the Windows Welcome screen (which I did not want, of course).

HP Recommended

What do you mean by "the mechanical start button"? Is this the power button on my PC? Or do you mean the "Restart now" button on the screen when in UEFI Firmware Setting? Shutting down my computer while tapping Esc does not sound very logical to me. I tried both methods (press power button on PC and press Restart now button while tapping Esc), but all I get is "no signal" and a black screen.

HP Recommended

The instructions I gave was for the PC to be off - also known as a cold start.  It will not work if the PC is already on. 

I assume the PC will boot normally if you do nothing during startup?

BTW: they do make a Ubuntu that is UEFI friendly -

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Ok, PC was OFF. I started tapping Esc and turned ON the PC while keeping on tapping Esc. The PC started with the Windows Welcome screen, so no BIOS.

I have Ubuntu 17.10 (latest version) ready on a DVD. When putting it in the DVD player and restarting my PC it does not start Ubuntu like it should. Since I cannot get into the BIOS I do not know what the start order is. It should be DVD first, then hard drive.

HP Recommended

The only times I have come across this type of problem is when the HP supplied keyboard was not being used.  Since there are no PS/2 ports, are you using a USB keyboard or WiFi or bluetooth?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I am using the keyboard supplied by HP. This is a usb keyboard. I already had my doubts about the keyboard and was thinking of buying a new one. I tried one of the function keys in Windows and it worked. I plugged the keyboard in a USB port with SS on it at the back. The keyboard keys work fine too. I am quite desperate because nothing I have read on the internet (dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu) works. But I really appreciate your help.

Once more my procedure: start tapping on Esc, start PC (cold start) whilst keep on tapping Esc. Result: I get the Windows opening screen. Or: go to UEFI Firmware Settings, tap Esc while clicking the Restart now button. Here I get the message "no signal" and after a minute or so the led on my monitor turns from white to organge. The power light on my PC is still white and I have to tap almost every key on my keyboard before I get the Windows opening screen again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.