Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23-q112
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavillion All-in-One 23" that recently had an update to Windows 10 applied.  When booting the system, the screen displayed this message:

Checking media presence

Media present

Start PXE over IPv6

This would occur over and over again, unless I pressed the ESC key in the boot process.  Then it would display this:

PXE-E21: Remote boot cancelled

I've tried rebooting and pressing the F1, F2, F10, and F12 keys based on which support document I read online.  F2 and F12 are the two options that used to display on the screen upon startup.  F2=BIOS and F12=Alternate Boot Device.

I've also tried the "hidden" Windows Key/B and Windows Key/V key sequence with and without the 3 second delay on the power button. I thought there might be some hardware reset jumper or connection wire on the motherboard that would allow me to reset the BIOS and so I searched for those answers.  I found instructions on correcting the problem by temporarily removing the Memory and Hard Disk from inside of the computer, but the link to the support page providing the instructions on removing the back cover was non-existent.  I tried removing the two screws on the bottom of the outward case, but there must be something else to it, because it appeared that I needed to do something else besides just turning the screws.  The screws rotated only 1/2 a turn and separated the back cover from the front

As an FYI, I was able to boot to the BIOS menu twice, but after assuring my self that the correct boot sequence (hard disk first) was selected, my attempt to re-enter the BIOS setup screen failed.  I was also able to boot to the Windows operating system once, but that action could not be repeated either.

At this point, I just want to reset the BIOS to its default settings so that the system will once again boot properly.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

What is happening - the boot device has reverted to the Nic, which would be called either IPv4 or IPv6.   In order to fix that, enter the setup menu, change the first boot device and save the selection then exit the setup.  Getting into the setup menu can be tricky, so I give this advise

Start tapping the Esc key BEFORE starting the PC and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows.  Then pick the setup menu, F10

Make the change to have the hard drive first and move the IPv4 or IPv6 to the bottom.  Press F10 to save the change and if it doesn't exit, then Esc.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Yep, tried the ESC, F1, F2, F10, F12, Windows+B, and Windows+V key/key combinations.  None of them work, but the system LED lights up indicating that it's getting power and the system fan turns on, but the screen is blank.

Is there a hardware reset button or jumper inside the case that would allow me to reset the BIOS back to factory settings?

And if so, is there a trick to getting the outer case removed in order to access it? The screws on the bottom turn about a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn loosening the back cover on the bottom, but the side and top are still firmly attached.

HP Recommended

I do not think you read my procedure to get into the BIOS close enough, otherwise you would not have made the statement "Yep, tried the ESC, F1, F2, F10, F12, Windows+B, and Windows+V key/key combinations"

You cannot use the Windows+B or Windows+V in the same time frame as the way I outlined.

So again.  The PC must be shut down - OFF - not running

Start tapping the Esc key BEFORE starting the PC and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows. Then pick the setup menu, F10

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I guess I didn't go into enough detail on my response to your instructions.  I DID follow your instructions to the letter. I DID turn off the PC for ten seconds.  In fact I did a HARD stop by removing the power connection to the PC first.  I pressed the ESC key several times BEFORE I powered the PC back on and then continued to tap the ESC key as I pressed the power button and I continued to tap it for the next 90 seconds.  The light came on, the fan started to whir, but NOTHING appeared on the screen!

I also tried  similar procedures  for each of the other keys mentioned - also without success.  I mentioned them to let you know that I have tried all of those methods as well, simply as an indication of trying pretty much  everything that HP has listed on their support pages. That's why I was asking about a hardware jumper setting or something other than a keystroke combination.

Many of the computers that I've built from scratch have such a feature on their motherboard, where if you put a jumper on two of the pins on a jumper block near the BIOS chip and power the system on, it will reset the BIOS back to the factory  setting.  You then remove the jumper and power the system back on and modify those settings as you see fit.  The jumper provides a security blanket that allows you to proceed with some of the lesser known features and the knowledge that you can always go back to square one.

SOooooooo, how do I go back to square one on an HP Pavillion 23 All-In-One?

HP Recommended

OK.  With this being an AIO and nothing else is working, it might be that the hard drive has failed and with the only other thing in the bootup string being the NIC, perhaps that is why you are getting the response.

About the only thing is to try is a Linux Live DVD or USB.  I like Ubuntu or Linux Mint but whatever you like.  Make it on a working PC and then place this new media in the DVD tray or USB port and let it try to boot.  If it does boot up, then you can have a look around.  Using a Live OS will not make changes to the Windows 10 install and it will check the hardware too, assuming you use it for some time.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.