Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to access desktop screen

Slimline Desktop

I had problem with my audio cutting out and starting to sound fuzzy. I then updated the audio drivers and it was working perfectly fine. I then went on to play some games I was playing and then stated to shut down my PC. I then noticed that it brought me to the sign-in options. I tried shutting down again and it just brought me back to the sign-in screen. I then forced shut down my PC and lefit it overnight. When I woke up in the morning I tried going onto my PC, but it comes up with the Start-up menu, showing "Troubleshoot" and "Turn off PC". I tried "Turn off PC" and started it up again - got to the start-up menu still. Tried looking online to see if I could solve anything with the "advanced troubleshooting" options. None of them worked and there is no sign telling me to "Exit and Continue to Windows 10". As I was looking online for solutions, I found out that instead of having the option "Start-up options" in the advanced troubleshooting tab, I have the "UEFI Firmware Settings" option. When I click that option, all it says is "Restart to change UEFI Firmware Options" when nothing else has come up. I press that and it restarts but brings me back to the start of the start-up menu (showing keyboard layout). I am very confused and stuck and can need help A.S.A.P. Also, one more thing. About the post I am writing I do not know whether I am using Windows 10 32-bit or Windows 10 64-bit as I cannot access my desktop. Thank you, Oliver

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14,581 14,559 933 933
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Oliver312

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I understand that the desktop is not booting up.

I'd like to help

Since the issue started recently, I suggest you perform a System Restore to an earlier time before the issue started.

- Shut down the computer completely.
- Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key, about once every second, until you see the Windows loading screen.
- If a language selection screen opens, select the language you want to use to continue.
- On the Choose your keyboard layout screen, select the keyboard layout that matches your keyboard type.
- On the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot.
- On the Troubleshoot screen, click Advanced Options.
- On the Advanced options screen, click System Restore.
- Click Windows 10 as the target operating system.
- The System Restore window opens. Click Next.
- Click the restore point that you want to use, and then click Next.
- The Confirm Restore Point window opens.
-Click Finish to restore your computer to a previous point.
- Do not interrupt System Restore when it starts. Doing so can corrupt your hard drive and create more problems. Click Yes in the warning that appears.
- System Restore returns the computer configuration to a previous point in time and restarts.

If you are unable to access any of the options in Recovery Environment, please contact our Phone Support to order the recovery Media

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Thank you 🙂

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,
I have tried repeatedly tapping the F11 Button where a System Recovery pops up for a few seconds before Windows pops up. I theb went to troubleshoot and System Restore. However when I clicked System Restore, I get an error message saying -

"To use System Restore, you must specify which windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select System Restore"

I am confused as whenever I restart it never shows an option for this, it only shows Keyboard Layouts.

Thanks, Oliver
0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14,581 14,559 933 933
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Oliver312

When you Select the Keyboard Layout as US English and hit Next, do you get the option to proceed further to do a System Restore?

If you are still unable to perform the System Restore, I request you to contact our Phone Support to order the Recovery Media.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As I said yes I have got an option to do system restore.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,216 5,204 269 383
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Oliver312

It looks like you were interacting with @KrazyToad, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out,

I'm the Flower_Bud & I'm at your service.

Have you tried a system restore? 

If the issue persists, I would suggest you contact our phone support to order the Recovery Media.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation