Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-110f PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

PC was freezing after 30 minutes of use, rebooted a few times, but on the last restart, it would not boot up, it froze at scanning drives (blackscreen). Attempted to enter BIOS using diferent methods without success. It would freeze at HP blue screen, selections: <F10=Setup>, <Esc=Bot Menu>, <F11=System Recovery>, <F9=Diagnostics> v5.03.  

I attempted to clear BIOS settings, by Temporarily setting the jumper to pins 2-3, and returning to 1-2, without success. 

No error messages provided & No recent software or driver changes.

Do I need a new BIOS replacement chip or motherboard replacement?  

Thank you!!

ELTAZ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ElTaz, again, you are very welcome.

You have done a great job of diagnosing the problem.  I believe that you may have a failed CPU since the test failed at 60%.  I would check the capacitors on the motherboard to assure that they are not bulging, also.  This is the quickest test for the mobo.

I understand that it is expensive to buy a new laptop, but the least expensive laptop today will be light years ahead of your daughter's old model.

Good luck!

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ElTaz, welcome to the forum.

I believe that you may have a failed power supply unit (PSU).  The symptoms that you describe are those of a failing/ed PSU.

Here is a guide to help you troubleshoot the problem.  If you decide to replace the PSU, here is a guide to help you.  There is a good video in the guide.  I suggest taking a picture or two of the connections on the motherboard and the components to help you with the installation.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Good morning  ;

Thank you for the fast response.  The PSU is functional within its parameters.  I checked the PSU with a meter and I used a known good PSU upon my initial troubleshooting, and I continued to have the same problem.  I have followed the HP troubleshooting guide without success.  The F9 diagnostics starts, but quickly freezes at 60%, when testing the CPU. 

My next step is to check the CPU for functionality and the mother board as well, unless there are other tips?  I have experience as a biomedical technician, so I can do bench board tests with guidance, to see if I need to replace the board.  Would HP help replace the board, if it is nonfunctional and the CPU still intact, or both?  

Thank you for your assistance and have a great week!

ELTAZ

HP Recommended

@ElTazwrote:

Good morning  ;

Thank you for the fast response.  The PSU is functional within its parameters.  I checked the PSU with a meter and I used a known good PSU upon my initial troubleshooting, and I continued to have the same problem.  I have followed the HP troubleshooting guide without success.  The F9 diagnostics starts, but quickly freezes at 60%, when testing the CPU. 

My next step is to check the CPU for functionality and the mother board as well, unless there are other tips?  I have experience as a biomedical technician, so I can do bench board tests with guidance, to see if I need to replace the board.  I suggest checking the memory first.  This is far easier than the CPU and motherboard.  The memory can definitely cause the symptoms that you are experiencing.  Simply remove each stick one at a time and boot the computer with one installed.  There are numerous videos online that should help you test the components.

Would HP help replace the board, if it is nonfunctional and the CPU still intact, or both?  I'm afraid this is not possible.  The computer is 8 years old which is an eternity in technology today.  At this point, it is even difficult to find the original components; if at all.

Thank you for your assistance and have a great week!  You are very welcome. 

ELTAZ

HP Recommended

Hello again,

Excellent fast responses!  Thank you!

Actually, I also checked the memory sticks, individually as well, prior to posting on the Forum.  I hear what you are sayng about the age of the computer and HP not able to provide replacement components.   That is fine.  I am already researching clearance pricing on an MBO and doing  a cost-benefit-analysis.  My daughter prefers a new computer, but she is attending school and can only afford to repair her computer, at this time.  

Thank you for your assistance.  

ELTAZ

HP Recommended

@ElTaz, again, you are very welcome.

You have done a great job of diagnosing the problem.  I believe that you may have a failed CPU since the test failed at 60%.  I would check the capacitors on the motherboard to assure that they are not bulging, also.  This is the quickest test for the mobo.

I understand that it is expensive to buy a new laptop, but the least expensive laptop today will be light years ahead of your daughter's old model.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.