Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen obelisk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys I have a problem with my computer. It turns on but does not boot. I’ve tried resetting the cmos battery (there is no cmos jumper). I’ve tried plugging in without ram or the graphics card. I’ve disconnected and reconnected every single cable and the cpu. (Applied more thermal paste) And I’m more than sure that the PSU is not failing. Not sure if it is a windows thing or something is wrong with my motherboard. Please help.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

It sounds like a hardware problem if the PC will not POST and you cannot tap "ESC" at system startup to enter the HP UEFI Startup Menu. This menu has various options such as: entering the BIOS, using HP Diagnostics to check hardware, or running a HP factory recovery.

Refer to this (Link). See "Opening the BIOS Setup Utility".

The PC will never start Windows if the PC cannot POST due to a hardware problem.

You also removed the MB battery to reset CMOS with no change in startup behavior.

You pulled the RAM and the graphics card and reseated all cables.

Have you tried one stick of RAM in each memory slot to check for bad RAM?

Have you tried starting the PC with all SATA drives and front USB disconnected from the motherboard (MB)?

If yes, then you are possibly looking at a power supply or MB problem.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.