1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to bootup with Z220 CMT and fans running at full speed

Z220 CMT Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • I'm currently troubleshooting a Z220 CMT workstation computer
    • Crashed while using it without any warning, no blue screen or POST error messages
  • OS was Windows 10 but the sticker on the computer was Windows 8, so it should have UEFI
  • Uses a Nividia NVS 310 as the graphics card and also for display output
  • No bludging or burst capacitors on the motherboard
  • The motherboard has a lit green led throughout all my troubleshooting
  • The motherboard had 2012 written on it so I'm assuming it was produced in 2012
  • Couldn't find the manufacturer of the motherboard anywhere
  • Gave 5 beeps with solid blue light before turning off after the beeps every time I turned on the computer after it crashed
    • Had no display
    • Fans in the computer would run at full speed after several seconds
    • Cleaned fans, not dusty, so not overheating issue + when I first powered on the machine after some time it still has the same problem
    • Apparently, 5 beeps was a RAM issue
    • Reseated, shifted around and took out RAMs one by one to find out which was at fault
    • Removed RAM stick that was causing the problem
    • Still no display
  • Cleared CMOS by holding down on the yellow button on the motherboard for 10 seconds 
    • Reseated the battery (battery was just taken from a working device, so it is not flat)
    • Doesn't make a difference
  • Tried flashing the BIOS with a thumb drive with the .bin file in it, by moving the jumper pin to crisis recovery jumper position
    • Inserted the thumb drive with the .bin file into the computer (this person said smth abt USB2 at the front of the computer, which I'm assuming is referring to either USB 2.0 or the second USB port, but I'm not too sure, so I just inserted it in a USB 2.0 port in front of my computer)
    • On power-on, it beeped 8 times with red led flashing as it beeped with a short pause before beeping 5 times without any light
    • USB drive had activity throughout all of this
    • The computer had a lot of fan noises and restarted quite a few times, and just hung there without any display after that
    • Fans in the computer still run at full speed after several seconds
    • Left it there for a few minutes; no changes
    • Pressed the power button to power it off, and changed the jumper position to its original position
  • Powering on the computer now does not make any beep codes
  • Is just silent and does not display anything
  • Fans in the computer still run at full speed after several seconds
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation