Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 655
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Recently i searched that my hp 655 can support up to 4 gb of ram. I bought the ram and placed it inside the laptop correctly (i have done this proccess with alot of laptops) but i noticed that the laptop only read 2 gb of ram. (for clarification, my laptop has two ram slots so i bought two identical rams of 2gb space). I have already tested that both ram slots are fully operational so my problem is that propably dual channel memory is turned off from the bios settings. The problem is though that the advanced bios settings are hidden . Any advice on how to enable those advanced settings will be very appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CNK2 

Sorry, but accessing Advanced BIOS option on HP PCs is not possible.

Some OEMs lock out the advanced BIOS options to prevent customers from making changes to options that can destabilize or otherwise damage the PC -- and then send it back for repair under warranty claiming they did nothing to it.

I know only SOME of the advanced options are risky, but it's simpler to disable access to ALL advanced options than to allow/disallow on an individual option basis.

That's the course of action that HP has chosen.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

FYI you just posted to Desktops.

HP probook 655?

first is buying only matched certified for 655, DDR3 is best. not generic or mixed SKUs

you do not have bios admin password set? do you? and then a user BIOS PW right>?

if yes log into ADMIN only, (based on words grayed out or hidden?)

off your spec page

• DDR3 SDRAM (1600 MHz)4
  • Two SODIMM slots supporting single channel 2048MB and 4096MB SODIMMs
  • Standard memory up to 6144MB
  • Maximum:
    • Upgradeable to 8192MB with optional 2048/4096MB SODIMMs in slots 1 and 2
    • Maximum memory speed supported by the system may be 1333 MHz or 1066 MHz

let me tell you a thing about DDR3 it has been used in PCs for a very along time, and mixing up years loves  to fail'.

old DDR3 in newPC may work but not old in new PC. see?  (called violating CPU MMC density rules)

Im sure that is not you but had to throw that out there for DDR3 Buyers, but certified DDR works use it , like COrsair.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

trick #1 for DDR news.

on vast PCs we have to reset BIOS to get it to log in. (set factor defaults) but...

so know your settings first, in BIOS, then do that if the Sized of DDR3 is wrong inside BIOS.

or more easy...

pull out laptops battery big.

pull AC cord,   push power button few times to discharge caps.

then power on this is hard cold boot, and BIOS can in fact now to  full SPD scan of DDR3 and report correctly

if bios does not like your DDR3 it is the wrong DDR3 and my need BIOS upgrade, or certified DDR3.

HP Recommended

i havent set any admin code and as far as i know hp hasnt set any admin codes . Yes there are stuff on the bios grayed out. If there is admin how to i access it ? Also sorry but thisi s my first time using this service so i wasnt aware that this is the desktop section and not the laptop section. Thank you for pointing that out for me

HP Recommended

there are lots of causes. (ok a mobile desktop, no problems ever)😀

I for one do not know of any PC that has grayed out BIOS line items on OEM PCs, my ASUS do in Ez-mode, but this is HP.

usually gray means this device not present. but (admin mode I never do and thus can;t learn that,,, but most PCs have it...)

never see a PC ever with channel B DDR3 ram defeats after all the MMC in the CPU detects this and BIOS too scans it..

do  the checks i posted.   (short list)

resets full

use  certified DRR3 never use Generic. (unless lots of labor time and shipping delays are fun)

test DDR3 , 1 at a time each. then all. (make sure BIos shows them correctly size. etc)

reset BIOS if BIOS shows the RAM missing or wrong spec,  inside BIOS PAGE>

all admin setttings are in the BIOS page, look there F2 pages, has tabs read them all to know what is there, is best.

or on tab security same place,  its turned off on new PC, is your bought new by you or use or refurbed buys?

step 1  is getting BIOS to like the DDR3, even upgrading BIOS. can do that.

BIOS can be forced reset , in F2 page, or using cold boot first a true cold boot, AC not connected. cold cool but

but this is no Desktop so has A huge battery there, inside that laptop somewhere, remove it. and AC power TOO.

this puts the PC at 100% zero volt on all Caps and PCu, zero volts even wait 1 hours, let the caps in the PC go to zero volts.

then turn on any PC and BIOS may wake up and do deeps scans of DDR3, (SPD chips) ( A very simple way)

I have seen vast PCs go DDR3 wrong, shown wrong. in BIOS , new RAM.

and nothing wrong at all , I had to do 1  or 3 things in order, of easy to harder.

1; dead cold boots, per above.

2: f2 bios, CLICK factory defaults BIOS settings (learn settings  them first)

3: RTC coin cell pulled, and big battery  and AC line cored, and wait 1 hour. PC is now 100%for sure dead, and 0vdc.

learn that hotswapping RAM IS a bad act, (all power must dead, RTC coin left alone)

BIG BATTERY OUT< AC pulled, now RAM is safe to pull...  or risk blowing up RAM. or the Mobo

neve r hot swap  parts inside ANY PC,  or it latches up or worse.

a PC connected to the wall AC is not off,  a laptop with battery present is no really off. see? (it's in standby power state)

after getting new DDR3 happy and the PC will not boot.

1: in F2 BIOS turn off all instances of PXE, NIC page and boot order. (this is business grade , boot server , trouble )

2: make HDD0 boot first. (or SSD0 as the case applies)

some newer PC boot page is secure boot and list MICROsoft boot manager, as boot first,  bingo this. first.

HP Recommended

@CNK2 

Sorry, but accessing Advanced BIOS option on HP PCs is not possible.

Some OEMs lock out the advanced BIOS options to prevent customers from making changes to options that can destabilize or otherwise damage the PC -- and then send it back for repair under warranty claiming they did nothing to it.

I know only SOME of the advanced options are risky, but it's simpler to disable access to ALL advanced options than to allow/disallow on an individual option basis.

That's the course of action that HP has chosen.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Tought that I would bring this to your attention (old DDR3 in newPC may work but not old in new PC. see?  )

HP Recommended

Hi thank you for helping us less fortunate I have a 8440p work station laptop win7 my favorite it works with 1 ddr3  2gb mem but it won't work with a second mem of same specs and manufacture totaling 4gb it gives a 3 slow blinking light I searched and got tired of trying it is out of warranty is half the battle but I'll be damed if I will buy a new laptop any helping info would be deeply greatful

dbarselow

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.