Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I don't know how to troubleshoot any problems with the Microsoft tool, so I recommend you use Rufus instead to create the bootable USB drive.

Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases)

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen   I am always willing to learn

I saw that post and it intrigued me, so I too did what @llau2  has posted and got the same results.  However, I did use the .ISO to burn a dual layer DVD that seemed to be OK.  At least it booted to a Windows 7 install screen, that is all the further I went with it.

Curious why the USB software did not finish the USB to make it bootable.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi, @TheOldMan 

As I wrote yesterday, I don't know why the Microsoft tool didn't work on the USB flash drive.

Rufus should make a USB flash drive bootable, and what you did to burn a DL DVD works, but most folks don't have DL DVD's available.

I use the free CD Burner XP software to burn ISO files to DVD's, and I don't have any DL DVD's either.

CDBurnerXP: Free CD and DVD burning software

I have had similar experiences with the Microsoft W7 ISO to USB/DVD tool.  Probably around a 75% success rate.

I have only used it to burn the old W7 version 2009 ISO files, which were only 3.09 GB.

The new 2018 update contains a bunch of updates to W7 which saves hours of doing Windows updates, which unfortunately, makes the file too large to burn to a standard 4.7GB DVD.

HP Recommended

Hi @Paul_Tikkanen

Yes, I got Rufus and did make the USB with that.  Evidentially Windows USB DVD tool has to have some extra things installed to work properly.  I learned some things on this adventure, too.  I learned my protection software does not like Rufus and therefore had to use a different PC to use it.

I learn so much from reading your posts and wish I had your knowlegde.  Thanks Paul for your expertise.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, @TheOldMan 

A great deal of what I have learned I have learned from other HP forum members, and I do my best to help others with what I have learned over the years.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you very much @Paul_Tikkanen for the W7 ISO and @ TheOldMan pointing me to the Rufus app.  I had "burned" the ISO to a USB, have yet to try it out.

I do apologize for the late response, I'm in lower central Texas, had been without power for over 3 days because of the historic crazy weather, much fortunate than the other bigger cities

HP Recommended

My apology Paul, some how I've over look that you had provided a link for the Rufus app download.  I did a search for it after reading TheOldMan's comment.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.