Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy h8-1409
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After upgrading my graphics card I found I needed to update the bios.  So I went to the HP Software and Driver Support page for "HP Envy h8-1400 Desktop Series" but accidentally installed the wrong bios.  I think I ran the exe for 32-bit windows instead of 64 bit.

I could tell something was wrong when the PC beeped several times on boot.  Luckily the PC (Envy h8-1409) did eventually boot despite the bad bios.  However, I now find that I cannot update the bios when I select the correct option.  I run the executable (sp70266.exe), it runs flash.bat, but then nothing and I get the same beeps when I startup.  I also see the bios and version date are unchanged in system information.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

robq

What is the exact HP product?  Okay you have an h8-1409 which is not material here. What graphics card did you try to install?

Generally HP ships PC's with 64 bit operating systems.

So do you have (h8-1400 series) a 64 bit operating system?

Check the BIOS version in System Information ( Control Panel, Administrative Tools, System Information) against the BIOS update you think you installed. BIOS updates have no correlation to the operating system architecture. The motherboard does not care what type of operating system you install.

You said the PC loaded Windows. Is your PC running okay now?

Grzy

HP Recommended

To answer your question I installed a new AMD Radion R7 240 graphics card.  

It turns out the beeps were a "Gate A20 error" according to the AMI bios beep codes which some google-ing reveals can be related to graphics cards (as opposed to just keyboards).  To confirm I put back the old graphics cards and didn't get the beeps on startup.  I guess even with the bios update the HP Envy h8-1409 cant accommodate the new graphics card which from other posts seems to a perennial problem.   Gah.

Thanks for your reply - I didn't know the bios updates were architecture agnostic - I assumed they weren't as the HP support site asked for the architecture before loading the list of possible updates.  

Thanks again.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.