Level 1
7 3 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Updating BIOS rquired to stop Kernel Power Critical Error

HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 550 -110na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been having problems with an Event 41,  Kernel power critical error since November 2017. Around once every 10 days my desktop PC stops, and reboots with a critical error showing in the Windows event viewer. I have tried various options after browsing the web and using the HP assistant that showed no updates required. I noticed there seems to be a more recent version of the BIOS available. I have AMI A0.08 when AMII A0.16 is available. Should I download this and upgrade to the new BIOS to this to see if this helps?

1 REPLY 1
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Should I download this and upgrade to the new BIOS to this to see if this helps?

I give it about a 20% chance of the BIOS update helping the problem.

The BIOS update might be related to the 'Meltdown' and 'Spectre' vulnerabilities.

Instead, it's much more likely that the power-supply, or the motherboard, is the cause of the symptoms.

It is very expensive to "speculatively" replace the motherboard -- less expensive to swap a power-supply.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation