Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillon a6665it
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an ho desktop Pavillon a6665it with 2 slot of 2Gb installerà. I have bought other 2 memory cards, each 2Gb in order to reach in total 8Gb. I have Windows 10 64 bits installed. When i install the 4 cards I see in the BIOS sestup (F10 at boot) all of them, but when I run the diagnostic (F9 at boot) i get the error BIOME-1 on the memory. I have tried each card in different slots: if There are online 3 cards installed the diagnostic succeeds, but as soon as I plus the fourth it fails with BIOME-1 error, indelendently on the card. Any suggestion ?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It may seem to work and does boot into Windows, but you are likely to be taking a risk of data corruption.

If the primary and secondary timings are close, but the voltage the module needs is not, then you are taking the risk of damaging the motherboard and having your important data corrupted in the long term. I prefer to minimize hassle and risk.

That is why doing it right and avoiding frustration is a best practice.

It's your money,  your PC and data.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Mixing memory modules, as in density (1 or 2-sided),  manufacturer, or capacity, frequently results in not being able to boot scenario, complete with error messages or a black screen.

If you are unable to find memory modules that are like the original in every respect, it is best to  remove the original modules.

Purchase guaranteed compatible memory modules  to replace the original ones, install them and boot painlessly into Windows.

See the following link to modules guaranteed to work in your desktop PC

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-a6665it

Use the part numbers listed and search for a vendor with the best price.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply ! I understand that the mix of different brands could cause incompatibility, but why in your opinion a partial mix of boards works ? E.g. if I leave the original 2 boards with only new (which is from a different brand) it works fine: the BIOS sees 6 Gb, the diagnostic work fine, Windows boots fine. The problem arises when all 4 slots are occupied: the BIOS sees 8 Gb, but the diagnostic gives me the error and Windows of course doesn't boot.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

It may seem to work and does boot into Windows, but you are likely to be taking a risk of data corruption.

If the primary and secondary timings are close, but the voltage the module needs is not, then you are taking the risk of damaging the motherboard and having your important data corrupted in the long term. I prefer to minimize hassle and risk.

That is why doing it right and avoiding frustration is a best practice.

It's your money,  your PC and data.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.