Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY All-in-One 27-b170na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The computer is HP ENVY 27-b170na All-in-One PC and the product number is Z7B66EA#ABU

I am trying to upgrade the 128 Gbyte SSD. I have installed a 512 GByte and created a media recovery USB device but when I try to install Windows 10 on the new SSD drive it formats, starts to copy files, reboots automatically after a few minutes and then comes up with a failure message but won't restart (I have lost the message!, sorry). I have put the old SSD back and am stuck.

Any tips to progress beyond this point, please

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@PugwashXP, welcome to the forum.

Your best option would be to use the System Recovery media that you made when the computer was new.

What is the make/model of the new SSD?  I want to check to assure that it is compatible with the motherboard.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Please provide details on the new SSD. M.2 SATA drives will not work correctly. You need a NVME drive using PCIe interface.

Have you tried migrating the OS install from the 128 GB SSD to the new SSD? Samsung has Data Migration software if you bought a Samsung drive or Macrium Reflect Free (Link) can copy the operating system to the new SSD.

It would be good to know the contents of the failure message.

Have you verified the new SSD is seen in the BIOS?

Please describe how you created the USB recovery media. Did you make HP Recovery media using HP's Recovery Manager?

Regards

HP Recommended

The SSD is a Crucial P1 CT500P1SSD8 500GB Internal SSD (3D NAND, NVMe, PCIe, M.2). It is recognised by the BIOS. I created the HP Recovery media using HP's Recovery Manager onto a 32 Gbyte USB3 memory stick. I don't have the error message. The upgrade process stops part way through: completed steps are

• the new SSD is formatted
  • some files are copied
  • the computer reboots and the hangs saying that the restore failed

HP Recommended

Thanks Grzwacz, I have posted a combined reply to the two responses.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @PugwashXP.

I can't access Crucial's website at this moment it is down for system maintenance.  However, if the SSD is on their recommended list for your computer, it is guaranteed to work.  I can tell you from experience, if you contact their Tech Support they will help you get the SSD to work if it is at all possible.  They have always been great to help me.  They are the experts on their products.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.