Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 590-p044
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgraded the HP BIOS through the HP management software on the machine as it suggested and now it will not boot.  Did some research and this seems to be a known issue by HP....Per HP Document ID c06468880 released on October 2019.  The document warns of the issue but doesn't tell how to fix it, just how to avoid it.  Need some help please as I have tried everything I can think of.  Screen stop error:  Critical Process Died.

Computer Issue.JPGcomputer issue 2.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your images are not viewable at the time I am responding. The forum has to approve the images. I am responding without being able to review the images.

The error you are seeing could be a Windows error. A bad BIOS update results in a non responsive boot error condition, so you would never see this Windows blue screen error. A bad BIOS update requires reprogramming the BIOS or replacing the motherboard if the following HP site link cannot fix this issue.

I would try troubleshooting steps at this HP Site (Link) to see if you can recover the BIOS back to a previous version if this is the problem. I don't believe you have a BIOS update problem.

This Microsoft site has tips to fix the error you are seeing (Link). Look at "General Troubleshooting Tips".

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

I see the image now.

Try a BIOS recovery per my previous link.

I don't know what to tell you if this fails. You need the graphics driver update before you update the BIOS per the HP document in your image.

You may have to contact HP Support (Link) for factory service. Or reinstall the factory image. You will lose data if you reinstall the factory image or use the HP Cloud Recovery option. You are in a sticky place with many bad options.

You could recover data by removing the HDD from this PC before you reinstall Windows, connect this drive to a different PC as a data drive, and copy data from your User folder to the host PC.

Maybe a different forum member has a better solution.

Regards 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.