Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 880
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade both SSD and GPU on my Omen 880. The problem is that the Tampa 2 motherboard has only 1 slot for the SSD and is the main storage unit with Windows inside. Can i simply clone the SSD on a new one using an USB typeC adapter and then insert the new SSD? Will it run? Please explain me the exact procedure because i'm going crazy trying to find tutorials online. I don't want to lose any data.

I already bought a new 750w psu (my Omen came with a 550w) to upgrade the gpu. Is the Tampa 2 motherboard compatible with the 3080 custom gpus?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

Let's start with the 3080. The 750 watt PSU you have purchased should be good to go with the 3080.

Next, the Nvidia reference card is around 11 inches in length and is a dual slot design. Some retail cards (MSI, Asus, or Gigabyte) cards can be longer and occupy more than two slots. So you have to measure along the PCIe slot and below or above the PCIe x16 slot. The slot width measurement is dependent upon the motherboard orientation.

You can clone or copy the existing HP OS image to a new M.2 SSD. I use Macrium Reflect free (Link) to create OS image backups and clones. You would need a USB-C to M.2 enclosure and verify this device is present in the BIOS before initiating the clone to the new M.2 drive.

I would refer you to Macrium's KnowledgeBase (Link) for disk imaging and cloning procedures. The HP factory disk image will be intact if you have imaging or cloning problems so you should not lose the existing factory operating system image.

This site has some suggestions on using Macrium to clone an existing disk image to a new disk (Link).

Look, I would create and test a Macrium backup disk image on external USB media before doing anything. This image can save much time if your disk fails or the OS image becomes irretrievably corrupted. But you must also create bootable USB recovery media so you can run Macrium if you cannot start Windows.

You have to read Macrium's KnowledgeBase to use the software.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.