Level 1
7 3 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Want to Restart / Shuts Down Instead

EliteDesk 800 DM G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have  an EliteDesk 800 Desktop Mini G1 that works great -- except when I want it to reboot. In Windows 10 Pro, when I select the restart option, the machine goes through the motions of preparing for restarting then shuts down and never restarts. I've tried this both through the Windows 10 interface and using the shutdown.exe approaches, neither which seems to make a difference. I can then press the power on switch and  the machine starts up normally, although this becomes a pain when installing software, etc. I have another identical machine (same model, Windows 10 Pro, same BIOS settings), and it restarts as expected. The only difference that I can see: the machine that restarts OK has an SSD drive formatted in legacy format, and the machine that won't restart has an SSD drive formatted with UEFI. I saw a suggestion elsewhere to run DISM and SFC to check the OS, which I've done with no apparent effect.

Does the UEFI have something to do with the non-restarting behavior? Any suggestions where I should start?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Want to Restart / Shuts Down Instead

Hi

I am pretty sure UEFI would not be the cause. However, anything is possible.

Have you checked ACPI settings or tried resetting the BIOS to defaults.

Something appears to be interfering with the operating system ACPI reboot command. Something is causing the motherboard to turn off.

The system should reset components and then follow the bootstrap process (the power suppy should not be shutting down).

You have no detectable operating system corruption per DISM and SFC tests.

So it could be a BIOS setting or motherboard (possibly a power supply) problem.

Grzy

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation