Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 580-053no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Help!

I recently installed two new RAM memory cards into my HP pavilion, totalling in 16gb. But when I turned it on it started beeping and I freaked out. So I took out one stick too see if it maybe was that the computer couldnt handle that much ram (even though it should). But that didnt eork either, and it kept on beeping. So I was like, Ok so maybe the computer is restricted to just the prebuilt stuff. After this I researched what these beeps meant, it was 2 long beeps followed by two shorter beeps with higher pitch. This code was looped, so it repeated itself. That combination of beeps is supposed to be the sound the pc makes when the bios are installed. But now I have a different card inplace, and when I try to start tje computer the power button just blinks with some minor sounds from i side the pc. I’m in deperste need for help. What should I do?

Thankful for all answers.

/Desperate

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Your PC does support two, 8 GB memory modules totaling 16 GB of memory.

The memory upgrade specs (Link to motherboard specs) are as follows:

• Dual channel (one DIMM per channel) memory architecture
  • Two DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports the following:
    • PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133)
    • PC4-19200 (DDR4-2400) (with Pavilion Power chassis only)
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    NOTE: 
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers
    NOTE: 
    Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

You may have purchased incompatible memory modules. Have you reinstalled the HP factory memory?

The HP Parts Store (Link) does not have 8 GB memory modules for your PC at this time.

You should be able to buy compatible memory modules at Crucial Memory (Link).

A 2:2 error beep cadence indicates the BIOS is corrupted. Your problem is somewhat confusing because you have two different issues happening; possible incorrect memory and, now a corrupted BIOS error code.

You could try to recover the BIOS per this HP Support document (Link).

Before trying a BIOS recovery I would install the HP factory memory.

Then, pull the MB CR2032 battery to reset CMOS.

Let the PC sit (battery removed) for about 20 minutes.

Reinstall the MB battery.

See if the system will POST. Try the BIOS recovery per the above link if the PC will not POST.

You may have to have HP service the PC if you cannot POST and load Windows.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.