Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G1 MT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When turning the computer on, nothing happens.  The power LED starts off white, then it's just strictly red after that.  It blinks red 4 times every 2 seconds.  What exactly does this indicate?  Which part is faulty?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I saw this, but I don't know if I quite understand it.  It says red indicates major and white indicates minor.  It's says that 3.5 for example means 3 long red blinks and 5 short white blinks, but it doesn't blink white at all, just strictly red.  The light starts white, then blinks strictly red.  Also, the 3.5 for example, like if it's in the table they have listed, it's under the column topic "major/minor"  How do I know if these beep numbers are for white or red LED blinks?  Can you help me understand?

I thought it would be like  table for red blinks, then a table for white blinks, and like I said, if my LED light is only blinking red, then I know the .5 in this case can't mean short white blinks.  Do you understand what I'm saying?

I have 4 short red beeps every two seconds.  :Can you help me to understand?

Thanks for the quick response by the way.

HP Recommended

Each red beep is half a second long.  Four of those, every two seconds.

HP Recommended

Just hold on for a bit and someone should be able to get back to you with more knowledge in this area with HP computers...

HP Recommended

Okay, thanks.  I appreciate the fast reply.  I tested my power supply with my power supply tester and noticed that all lights are on except -12 ans -5.  I want to know if this is the reason there is no power.  I want to be sure before I order another power supply for the computer.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi, @RyanDMiller 

See the service manual, chapter 9, page 200 for how to troubleshoot the 4 beep code error.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04293196

HP Recommended

It's definitely the power supply.  The article mentions the 4 red beeps and led to a power issue.  It told me to unplug everything on the motherboard and try powering on.  The computer is supposed to enter the POST until I find the faulty part, but it never did.  Only part left plugged in is the power supply.  The only thing, to me it looks like everything is plugged in correctly, but I can't hear the beeping anymore.  The LED light still blinks red four times like before.

1) Any idea on how to get the beeping back?

2) Most importantly, does this website have any power supplies available where I can order one?  If not, where is the best place that I can find one?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It could also be the motherboard according to the troubleshooting guide.

You can find plenty of used but tested and working power supplies on eBay, as well as motherboards.

This one is for the standard 300W P/S.  Yours may be different, so get the HP part number from it and get the exact replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=715185-001&_sacat=0&_sop=15

3 different power supplies are listed...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04033293

HP Recommended

Thanks. I read that 7 beeps means motherboard. What I'm trying to figure out us that if it's the motherboard, why not it beep 7 times one time? Chances are I'm getting one of the eBay power supplies though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.