Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I try to power on PC, fans and lights in back turn on, but power button does not light.

HP Pavilion p7-1000 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC was working fine, and I put it to sleep while I was gone for maybe an hour. When I returned, I tried to boot it up from sleep and nothing happened. The power button (on both the PC and the monitor) remained orange. When I tried to power it off and restart it, again, nothing happened. I had to power off the surge protector it is connected to in order to turn it off. I waited 10 seconds before returning the power, but the PC would not turn on, despite both fans and the green light near the power supply staying on (not blinking).

I have tried many troubleshoots already, but nothing has worked. Please help!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I try to power on PC, fans and lights in back turn on, but power button does not light.

>  I have tried many troubleshoots already, but nothing has worked.

What have you tried?  We want to avoid telling you to try anything that you have already tried.

> the PC would not turn on, despite both fans and the green light near the power supply staying on (not blinking).

I understand that you can turn on the electrical power to your computer, and the lamps are light, and the fans are spinning. Thus, your computer is receiving electrical power, and is responding when you press the ON/OFF button.

I understand that your computer does not appear to take the next steps, namely to display a "splash" screen, and then to read your copy of Windows from your disk-drive, in order to run Windows.

When you first power-on your HP computer, there should be an option to launch the "HP Hardware Diagnostics".

Select that option, and your computer will launch a series of tests of all the components of your computer.

Please tell us the results from those tests -- "pass" ?  "fail" ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried to do a hard reset (holding power button for 10 seconds before powering back on - with power supply both connected and disconnected), I tried disconnecting all wires and hard resetting, and even the YouTube hair dryer into the fans trick.

As for launching the HP Hardware Diagnostics, how am I able to do that without a display?

To clarify: when I press the power button, the monitor does not react at all - it remains as if in sleep mode (orange light).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> when I press the power button, the monitor does not react at all - it remains as if in sleep mode (orange light).

The symptoms could be a "failing" motherboard, or a "failing" graphics adapter.

I think that it's time to take the computer to a qualified computer technician, for professional trouble-shooting.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation