Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
3 1 0 1
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When turning on desktop, it seems to shut off briefly, then turn on to continue the boot.

ENVY Phoenix 850-065se
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So I bought my ENVY Phoenix 850-065se a few months ago and noticed that when I power the machine on, the phoenix light in front goes on and you can hear the system turning on, then it seems to shut off for a few seconds and then turns on again and completes the boot.

I did a clean install on the system to make sure it wasn't any of the programs that I installed.  I then measured the boot time it takes just to get to the HP emblem, which has consistently taken about 1 minute and 30 seconds.  From the HP emblem to login it takes another minute and 30 seconds.  Three minutes for a full boot doesn't make sense on a clean install and factory settings with an SSD.

Here are my current system specs:

Model:              850-065se

Processor:      Intel Core i7-5960X

RAM:                 12GB

System Type:  64-bit

I'd love to know if anyone is experiencing something similar and if there is a fix for it.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 360
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When turning on desktop, it seems to shut off briefly, then turn on to continue the boot.

Hey @Jedaiken

Before I provide troubleshooting documentation for you to use, I would like to take a minute to welcome you to the HP Support Community! I understand that your HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 850-065se CTO is starting very slow. 

Note: please make sure that the power adapter is not plugged into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source. It should be directly into a wall outlet. Please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues.

Do you happen to have a 2.2 (or larger) TB USB hard drive attached?

Are you receiving or did you receive any error messages?

Did you try to do a hardware test in the BIOS?

Do you have anything attached to the PC?

You had said that the boot time is slow despite trying to do a fresh install. Here is a document called Computer Is Slow that may help you resolve the issue. In this document it will tell you about Microsoft Fix it. I have seen the Microsoft Fix it Solution work for others in the past.

You can also try Using Automated Troubleshooting. You will this document says "This document describes how to use the Windows 7 automated troubleshooting tools. These tools use a combination of installed and online applications to detect and resolve many PC problems, such as problems with networking, system performance, and hardware devices."

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to help! Please let me know the detailed answers/results of the troubleshooting provided above. If this reply resolvesyour issue, please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button at the bottom of this post. 

To simply say thanks, please click the Thumbs up below! Smiley Happy

Thanks for joining the HP Support Community!

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also have this issue.  No BIOS update or tinkering w/ settings has been able to change it.  It's the slowest BIOS I've ever experienced in 25+ years of working with PCs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@VWEthan

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP computer where the BIOS is slow and therefore the PC takes a long time to boot up. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Did you try updating the BIOS on the PC?
  • What operating system are you using?

Please reply with the information and I'll surely assist you further. Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Product Name: CTO-160se

Product Number: N0X16AV#ABA

System Board: 2B3A 1.04

BIOS version: A0.05 (latest per download page on HP site)

Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit

Before you say "Well, you're running Insider Preview, we can't help you", please understand that this issue has been a problem since Day 1 with this PC and I've just dealt with it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@VWEthan

Thank you for replying with the information.

I understand that it is an HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-160se that you have. 

You may perform the latest BIOS update (version: A0.38 Rev.A)

Let me know if the PC overheats while working on it for sometime.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a different system board ROM revision - 2B3A... This is for 2B4B... Will it work?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@VWEthan

If the motherboard is unchanged and if you're using WIn10 then it is the correct BIOS update. 

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just as I suspected... not compatible:

Capture.PNG

HP Error.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,391 2,258
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @VWEthan,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have tried the steps suggested and still having the issue with the PC shuts off automatically. I would personally suggest this could be a hardware failure with the PC itself. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service related options. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation