Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why does my hp envy only boot in raid?

HP envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My hp envy  H8-1534 will only boot when set to raid in bios. I have changed it to AHCI or ide it won't boot.  If after I changed it and i change it back it won't boot. I have to installe my hdd in another system and run chkdsk /f to repair it. Then set the envy back to raid and it will boot.  The hdd has gpt format.    The raid setting is the ony one I  have tried changing.  Is there a guide to hp bios setup anywhere?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
117,232 107,413 17,009 26,053
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Most of the time you have to reinstall the operating system after you change the drive controller settings.

The PC won't boot because different storage controller drivers are needed for the different drive controller settings.

RAID and AHCI pretty much provide the same performance.  There is full TRIM support for SSD's for example with either setting.

You don't want IDE set for your model under any circumstance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me so fast.  Your answer makes sense but my system came preinstalled with 8.1 and it has the

free windows 10 up grade and I don't have the install disks.  I think I will leave it as it is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You can make your own plain W10 installation media by using the Media Creation Tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You have the option of making a bootable W10 installation flash drive (you will need an 8 GB flash drive for that), or save an ISO file which you can burn to a DVD.

During the installation process, if you are asked to enter a product key, check the 'Skip' box and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Then you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

I have zipped up and attached below, the Microsoft utility that will transfer the ISO file to a DVD so it is bootable.

If there is a reason you would really like to change the drive controller to AHCI, then do so before installing W10.

In any event, you now have a way to reinstall W10 for any reason.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks again.  I should have joined this forum long ago.  I am a windows 7  hold out trying to learn windows 10.  I will make the

install media you mentioned as I plan on installing and SSD like I have on my windows 7 system.  What would be the best way to set up the ssd?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anytime.

The preferred drive controller setting for a single SSD would be AHCI.

If you plan to have an SSD as the boot drive, and a mechanical hard drive for extra storage, you would still want the AHCI drive controller setting.

If you plan on getting matching SSD's to run in a RAID setup, then of course, you would want the BIOS setting on RAID.

Note:  On AMD platforms with Samsung SSD's, if you use the Samsung Magician software, it will report that AHCI is not enabled.

Just ignore that message, because AHCI is enabled, and if you run the defragment and optimize drives utility in W10, it will trim the drive, not defragment it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I forgot to mention I have this  item called Raid Option Rom that always installs.  IT 's made on to the motherboard and I only have 1 hdd which is why I wanted to change the raid setting in the first place.   Thanks again for all the help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You wouldn't be able to make that item go away unless you change the drive controller setting to AHCI.

Nothing I can do to help with that.  You have to change the BIOS setting to AHCI and reinstall W10.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation