Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY Rove 20

Need help restarting my computer....will not get passed HP logo and dots circling...fades off then comes back on.  I have tried the esc button and F2 with no response.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.

AND/OR - Power on your PC, press Esc (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

AND/OR - Windows Logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B
(This key sequence actually restarts you graphics drive(W10 only).)

AND/OR - If you’re using multiple displays, try projecting video to a different monitor.
Press the Windows Logo key + P, select a display, and then press Enter.

HP Recommended

I tried this and it did not work-hoping there is another solution.

HP Recommended

Hi

OK so the Hard Disk passed it test, so that would suggest that it is a corrupted piece of software.

Consider doing a Factory Fresh reset, this will DELETE all you data.

Consider a Re-Install over the top of the existing install and try to save your data.

Consider a repair first and try and save your data first and foremost.

W7 and W10 Repair.pngW8 Repair.png
Recovery Reinstall.png

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

After pressing esc REPEATEDLY, I did get to the set up menu.  The Hard Drive passed all the tests.  When I went to do a refresh, I got-‘there was a problem refreshing your computer’.....I just want to get my photos and documents off of it....I do not want to do a reset and lose all my data.  Just confirming, if I did do a reset, I would lose photos, is that correct?  Thanks

HP Recommended

In the picture is a method to xcopy off all your data, so you don't lose any.

Writ it out longhand as you obviously cannot print.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.