Level 1
15 11 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 Automatic Repair

HP ENVY Phoenix 810-100 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My desktop is an Envy Phoenix 810-150se which was upgraded to Windows 10 and working for about a year.

My PC now displays the Automatic Repair screen with Restart and Advanced Options buttons.  My keyboard and mouse do not work at this point so I can't select either.  All I can do is a hard power off and on, which gets me to the same point.

I did do an f2 boot and ran all the hardware diagnostic checks; Fast, Quick and Extensive.  They all passed.  I checked my keyboard and mouse and they also function properly.

Any ideas to get my keyboard and mouse and keyboard to work at the Automatic Repair screen?

Also, what to do to get my PC to boot up.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 1
15 11 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was able to access the start up menu with ESC boot, to get to some of the trouble shooting options.  Here's the status: System Refresh and System Restore were not successful.  System Restore error was (0x80070091).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,296 2,009
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @hpocd, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand when you boot your PC it is stuck at Automatic Repair screen.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned when you boot your PC it is stuck at Automatic Repair screen and you have issues performing a system restore.

Try the steps recommended below.

Rename the WindowsApps folder in Safe Mode

1.    Boot into Safe Mode.
2.    Right click on Start and click on Command Prompt (admin).
3.    Type these commands below one by one.

•    cd C:\Program Files
             •    takeown /f WindowsApps /r /d Y
             •    icacls WindowsApps /grant “%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%”:(F) /t
             •    attrib WindowsApps -h
             •    rename WindowsApps WindowsApps.old
4.    Reboot back into Windows.
5.    Run System Restore.

Try the steps recommended below to enable system restore on your PC.

If System Restore does not work, use the following steps to make sure System Restore is enabled and active.
Save any open files and close all open programs.
In Windows, search for restore, and then open Create a restore point from the results list.
In System Properties on the System Protection tab, select your hard drive, and then click Configure.
The System Protection for Local Disk window opens.
Click Turn on system protection, and then click OK.

Try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

Refer this article to know more information about system restore in windows 10.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try performing a complete system recovery on your PC.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a system recovery on your PC.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
15 11 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help MrR.

I am unable to boot to safe mode, even when I try the bcdedit command in CMD.  I was able to set safemode because I had to do a delete command to try and re-enable safe mode.  With safemode enabled, it still boots to Automatic Repair.

Apparently in my configuration, which is an upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8, you cannnot boot to safe mode.  So whatever I do, I end up in Automatic Repair.

At this point, If I do a Recovery to the factory configuration it will be back to Windows 8, so that is not a great solution.

I am declaring my PC unusable, thank you Microsoft.

My next step is to remove the hard drive and use an enclosure so at least I can retrieve the files I need from it on another working PC.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation