Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 Update Problem

Pavilion p6620f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer has been having problems ever since it downloaded and installed the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.  Whenever I turn the computer on in the morning now, it goes through the first part of the boot process  then loses the video signal.  The computer power light does a quick blink then a long blink, quick blink then a long blink.  It does this for several minutes.  Finally, it does a reboot/restart and then boots up normal.  This whole process takes somewhere around 10 minutes, maybe longer as I haven't timed it yet.  Occasionally if I reboot it after it has been up and running it will reboot normally, other times it will repeat the process above and will reboot again before it comes up normally.  I can't locate any drivers to try to fix this and I can't find anyone else with the same issue.  Hopefully someone out there has a solution to this!

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
26,671 26,626 2,212 3,382
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Kraggers

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand the windows 10 update has issue as the device has a slow performance since the last update,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you updated the BIOS?

Attempted to free space on your drive to free memory usage?

While you respond to that, Try the following steps:

• Make sure there is at least 15% free space on the hard drive. For information about freeing up more space, see the Free space on the hard drive section of this document.

• Update the BIOS. Refer to the HP support document HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS or HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS. If there is no BIOS listed for your version of Windows, choose the latest version of Windows from the drop-down menu and install that BIOS.

• Update the graphics driver using Device Manager:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2. In the list of devices, expand Display adapters.

3. Right-click the graphics device, then select Update driver.

4. Click Search automatically for updated driver software, then follow the onscreen instructions to install the updated driver.

5. Restart your computer to complete the installation of the updates.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The HP website keeps saying that there are no drivers available for my product.  It doesn't show any BIOS for me to download.  I also checked for updates for my video card and the computer already has the latest driver.  I have plenty of free space on my hard drive.  I'm still at a standstill on figuring how to resolve this windows update issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Hopefully someone out there has a solution to this!

When you turn on the computer in the morning, launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics, and run the diagnostics.

It is possible that the disk-drive is not healthy, and needs to be replaced, if it "fails" the Drive Self Tests.

I doubt that doing a BIOS update will have any effect.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ran hardware diagnostics and the hard drive is very healthy, no issues.  This problem only showed up right after the system updated to the latest Windows 10 update, the Fall Creators Update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The computer power light does a quick blink then a long blink, quick blink then a long blink. 

It does this for several minutes. 

there is a list of "beep" codes.

A pattern of "one-short-one-long" could imply a problem with RAM.

Launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics, and run the RAM test.

If you have multiple sticks of RAM, remove all-but-one of them, and reboot.  Keep experimenting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I really appreciate all of the recommendations that I am receiving!!  I don't have any diagnostics that will run a RAM test.  This is a different hard drive than my original and I installed my own Windows 10 operating system.  I installed the RAM in various configurations in the slots pretty much with the same results each time.  Sometimes it will boot up within 3-5 minutes and other times it takes up to 10-13 minutes.  It didn't seem to matter whether or not I had one stick, two sticks or three sticks nor did it matter which slot a single stick or multiple sticks were occupying.  I'm still pretty much convinced this has something to do with the Windows Fall Creators Update because this problem started up pretty much immediately after that was installed.  I initially looked online for possible solutions and tried the recommendations but none worked.  Now, unfortunately, I don't have a restore point that goes back prior to the update.  I know there is a slim possibility that the system board could have issues.  There may have already been a problem with the system board and this update could have brought that out in the open.  My main consolation is that my computer will still boot up, just slower than it used to be.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't have any diagnostics that will run a RAM test. 

On a working computer with a CD-burner, see: www.memtest.org

You can "burn" a bootable CD that contains the 'MEMTEST86' utility program that extensively tests the RAM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> my computer will still boot up, just slower than it used to be.

From a command-line prompt, enter:   CHKDSK C:  /R

This will test every sector on the disk-drive, and thus will take a few hours.

Watch its "progress" report, to see if it slows down at some point, when encountering "bad" sectors.

Or, less "invasely" (if you suspect a "failing" disk-drive) Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download, install, and run it.

Expand the "Storage" branch.

Expand the "SMART" branch, and look at the detailed statistics.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

Post the results here.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation