Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
TouchSmart 600 1255 qd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

PROBLEM

Windows freezes during boot-up and all attempts at recovery. Boot sequence freezes at the same Windows splash screen within the first 3 spins. Windows 7 recovery freezes at the splash screen as well.

SYSTEM SPECS

(Setup is factory original except for Windows 10 upgrade)

HP TouchSmart 600-1255 qd (2010 All-in-One)

Product ID: BN951AV-ABA

BIOS: 5.01

CPU: i7 Q720 @ 1.6 Ghz

RAM: 8 GB

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT230

HD: Hitachi 7200 RPM; 1 TB; model HDS721010CLA332

WLAN: WPER-120GN; RT3092; HP P/N 573622-001

Internet Connection: Wireless

BACKGROUND

Computer functioned fine, but had been running hot

Removed back cover; cleaned air intakes, fans, heat sinks

Replaced CMOS battery; reassembled and re-booted

Upon boot-up, Windows 10 now freezes within the first three spins of the Windows 10 wheel on the splash screen

TROUBLESHOOTING PERFORMED

1. Performed resident HP Diagnostics tests available in boot settings: all passed
  2. Performed SMART short and extended self-tests on the HD: all passed
  3. Created bootable USB 2.0 stick with Windows 10 installation media: boot sequence freezes at the same Windows start up screen within the first 3 spins
  4. When Windows 10 triggers its Automatic Repair sequence, the boot sequence still freezes at the same point
  5. Used original Windows 7 recovery CDs to attempt boot from DVD: Windows 7 files are loaded, the green meter bar makes one pass, then the screen goes black and system freezes
  6. Entered BIOS settings and disabled all USB ports, LAN, WLAN, Tuner, etc., then attempted recovery using Windows 10 and 7 installation media: the boot sequence freezes at the same point
  7. Reset CMOS again; no change

Have exhausted all options that I know of. Any help to restore the OS on this machine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

I dont know.

It is just a suspicion, not actual evidence that causes me to point to the CPU.

"Todays processors create so much waste heat that it will only take a few seconds for it to go into thermal shut down."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi

Create Windows 10 installation media

To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below.

So you can enter and change BIOS settings?  YES/NO

Is there a choice of Legacy/Secure booting?

The DVD should run even if there is no HDD present, so disconnect the HDD and try solely with a DVD.

((Try with another OS... https://lubuntu.net/downloads/))

Memory Test passes for (both) the RAM module(s)?

HP Recommended

Since it appears the PC was working OK before the cleaning, it probably means it was something you did.  Since you can get into the BIOS, do that again.  Set it back to defaults, save and exit.  See if that does good.  If not, then most likely a connection was distributed while cleaning.  Check connections on the hard drive and reseat the memory modules.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Have run the media tool and created a Windows 10 intall on two different USB sticks (both 2.0 and 3.0) and connected them to every USB port available during my troubleshooting, Testing also included booting with the HD disconnected. In all cases, the boot up froze at the Windows splash screen after three spins of the wheel. Same result when attempting to use Windows 7 recovery discs via DVD drive.

I can enter BIOS settings and have done so, resetting everything back to defaults numerous times. There is no Legacy/Secure boot option available.

Memory Test passes for both RAM modules. All hardware tests pass without problem.

I will try with another OS as you suggest and report back the results.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

That is interesting.  If the Windows is still hanging in the same place when the HDD is disconnected, that would indicate there is a hardware problem.  A different OS will probably not give any better results.  Most likely either something is disconnected or has failed.  Sorry but that problem needs to be located, first.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Indeed, your assumption was correct. The lubuntu OS install also froze just as it was kicked off. However, I was able to run memtest86, which passed with zero errors. I've also run the resident HP Diagnostics test (F9) that covers the Touch Interface, CPU, Memory, HD, DVD and Booth Path. All tests pass....although everything freezes immediately after the tests are complete.

I've disconnected the wires to the WLAN (but did not remove the card), but this had no effect on the boot freeze.

So where does this leave me?  The graphics card? How do I test the NVIDIA GeForce GT230 without being able to boot the system? Anything else I should test?  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi

""BACKGROUND

Computer functioned fine, but had been running hot

Removed back cover; cleaned air intakes, fans, heat sinks

Replaced CMOS battery; reassembled and re-booted

Upon boot-up, Windows 10 now freezes within the first three spins of the Windows 10 wheel on the splash screen""

It passes BIOS test's, POST's correctly I believe, then the CPU gets a kick to start straining at the leash.

I don't expect a start screen to overly tax a GPU, and suspect the CPU.

Capacitors now supplement the load, so PSU all hunky dory?

CPU will get hot also, so temperature probes or similar?

HP Recommended

Hi

It passes BIOS test's, POST's correctly I believe, then the CPU gets a kick to start straining at the leash.

I don't expect a start screen to overly tax a GPU, and suspect the CPU.

Capacitors now supplement the load, so PSU all hunky dory?

CPU will get hot also, so temperature probes or similar?

Apologies, but I don't know what PSU is....will need help there.

I ran a memtest86 for two hours last night. The CPU temperature ranged from 78-80 degrees celsius during the test...according to the user interface readout. Not sure what normal is, but the fans certainly weren't triggered to crank up, as the machine ran quietly. 

HP Recommended

Hi

PSU   Power Supply Unit.

When the processor CPU gets work to do the power consumption increases, and on the Main Board Capacitors are there to help out, to smooth things out.   So it is a case of all plugs/sockets correctly pushed home?

Memtest86 may not load the CPU greatly, or the GPU,  but an install will and it may be that  you have a damaged CPU.

One core of a multi-core failed.

But I cannot really give a decent answer.

HP Recommended

Thanks. I’ve run HP diagnostics on the CPU multiple times and it always passes. Is this not a reliable indicator?  If not, how shall I test the CPU?

The freeze during bootup happens within the first 30 seconds, so I don’t see how heat can be a problem. 

Is there a sequential guide I can follow to test hardware that takes into account the fact that I can’t boot up?  I don’t know what to test or how at this point. 

Many thanks in advance!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.