Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 restore says hard drive is locked

hp desktop p7-1534
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

OK i had another thread going, but solved much of those issues.

Now I'm dealing with a Locked Hard Drive ...

BIOS is free and clear and I can do anything I want with the menus.

Apparently when I accidently hit Apply Defaults and Exit, it may have reinssued an old password for the HARD DRIVE.

Just says I need to unlock it. Sounds easy enough, right? NOT

So i go to secureity and click on Secure Boot Configureation, but then I get this big bad red screen message saying the Windows installed on the Hard Drive needs to be Windows 8 or antoher version of Windows that supports Secure Boot Congifuration.

Question #1 Does Windows 10 support Secure Boot Configuration?

When I click on the Secure Boot Configuration button it says changing the Secure Boot settings could make the hd unbootable.

Question #2  What should I avoid doing to ensure this drive that otherwise is perfect, continues to be servicable?

I press f10 ont he big red nasty warning and this is what it gives me to choose from:

Legacy Support ... disabled

Secure Boot ..... enabled

Key Management

Clear Secure Boot Keys  ...... Don't clear

Key Ownership .... HP Keys

Fast Boot ..... enabled

Question #3 WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Thank you 🙂

CAN I SAVE THE DATAT THAT IS ON THE HARD DRIVE IN THE PROCESS?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,983 9,979 937 2,733
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 restore says hard drive is locked

Here is a guide that will help:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/the-drive-where-windows-is-installed-is-locked/

They are trying to sell their product, so skip the part where they tell you to download their software, unless that appeals to you.

You can do all of the fixes except #1 from the Windows 10 install media.  Before the exclamation "I do not have the Windows 10 media"

Go to the Windows 10 download:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media" and follow the directions will using a working PC

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation