Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows Update Now Freezing My PC and Increased Process Times

HP Pavilion p7-1200 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ever since Microsoft updates installed their latest update on my PC on 12/26/17, my PC which has never had an issue with it now takes 3-5 minutes to boot up as well as freezes on me.  I have owned this PC for at least 3 years with absolutely no issues until now.  Is there a patch for what Microsoft has done to my machine?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Please provide the specific product number. The p7-1200 HP series desktops have five different motherboards.

Looked at three models. Latest initial consumer availability was 2012.

Older MB and chipset architectures have problems running the latest version of Windows 10, Fall Creator's Update, version 1709.

A 2012 PC would have shipped with Windows 7.

Do you have HP Recovery media?

You may have to reinstall the HP factory operating system image unless you have created an Windows 7 image before updating to Windows 10. Do you have HP Recovery media? A couple of different sites can help but the specific HP product number is needed to check this.

I hope you have been backing up data on external media. Try to do this now if you have any window of opportunity before the system locks up.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I have the p7-1297cb which has been fine until Microsoft's latest update. I upgraded to Windows 10 when it first came out and haven't had any issues until the upgrade.

I have my system backed up with an outside company.

Marino
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Marino

You are welcome.

I think this is your PC.

Windows 7 is the factory installed operating system.

I really think you will have to go back to Windows 7 if the latest Windows 10 update is causing grief.

Any piece of hardware on the motherboard could be causing the problem.

You could do a clean install of Windows 10.

This creates a new set of hurdles. Data backups (you have this covered), failed installation, installing all of your programs and having the product keys needed to activate these programs, and continued instability after the Windows 10 installation.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Tom. Was hoping i wouldn't have had to since Windows 10 had been fine for 1 1/2 years until the latest update.

Marino
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Marino

You can try a clean Windows 10 (version 1709) install since you have data backup.

Don't know what else to tell you at this point.

Windows 7 PC's worked fine with earlier Windows 10 updates but the later updates have caused problems. HP is not providing Windows 10 driver updates for PC's manufactured in 2012.

Usually legacy hardware problems are causing failed updates or unstable systems.

Some older PC's do fine, others can't do the latest Windows 10 update.

Tom

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation