• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows installation disc needed

hp pavilion elite hpe

i am trying to use my recently deceased husbands computer to gain access to usernames/password to online accounts that i'm transferring.  i'm a mac user and have no clue about windows, etc.  the machine was acting strange - lagging when surfing, etc.  turned it off and when i turned it back on it brought up a screen that states:

Recent hardware or software change might be the cause

1. Launch startup repair

2. Start windows normally.

neither selecion works.  it then goes on to say Install windows installation disk.  i do not have this..and can't find one

'boot selection failed because required devise is inaccessible'.  there are 3 items listed and neither one brings a different result.

please help - i can't access usernames/passwords to various online accounts without this computer.    it won't launch in safe mode or any other capacity.    i don't know what version of windows is on the computer either.

any advise would be greatly appreciated...  where i could burn a boot disk from my mac?  how i can bypass the screen mentioned above - tried all of the F keys - none worked.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,987 9,983 938 2,734
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows installation disc needed

Depending on how old this PC is, it might be successful to download the Windows 10 install from Microsoft

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With a working PC scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media" and then follow the directions.

You can then attempt a repair with the media by booting the problem PC to this newly created media and pick repair instead of install.  It might be successful with Windows 10 or Windows 8 or 8.1.  I do not know about working on Windows 7 as I always used a Windows 7 repair disk for that.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation