Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Won't Boot and Can't Backup

p7-1421
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having major boot problems with my desktop PC.   When my computer attempts to boot, I get this error:

The Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid info for an operations system.

F: \BCD
Error Code: 0xc0000098

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device, contact your PC/Device Manufacturer).

I have run multiple diagnostic tests and it passes every single one.  This issue just popped up randomly and I haven't been able to fix it.  I had zero computer issues until this boot problem happened.

I have Windows 10 upgraded from a Windows 8 initial install. When I try to run the system recovery manager from the UEFI screen, it selects all the files I want to back up and then shows me the options of where to back it up. I just got a brand new external hard drive plugged in via USB. I've tried multiple USB ports and the PC doesn't recognize the drive.  I've used the drive on my laptop and it works fine.  The only option I have is to back up to DVD, which won't happen cause it's about 160 gigs of stuff that I need to back up.

1. How can I get my PC to recognize the new drive and back up to it? (This is the most important thing)

2. How can I create a system recovery disk from my laptop for use on my desktop computer if needed (without losing what's on the desktop)?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I have run multiple diagnostic tests and it passes every single one. 

Good. Your "physical" hardware is OK. 

It's only the copy of Windows that is loaded onto the disk-drive that is "logically" messed-up.

>  You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device) ...

See: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

to download the latest Windows 10 installation media. 

This is a free (though large) download.

Copy the download to either one DVD-recordable disk, or to a USB memory-stick.

Boot your computer from the media, and choose "repair", to see if Windows can fix itself.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The repair option doesn't do anything.  It seems like it attempts a repair and then just returns to the boot screen.  I bought an external hard drive to back everything up via the REcovery Manager, but the drive isn't recognized as an option to back up.  when I plug in a usb flash drive, it recognizes it, but the flash drive isn't large enough to back up all the stuff I need.  Meanwhile, my external is a hub so I plugged the flash drive into there and the computer recognizes the flash drive, but not the external.  I got another external and plugged it in and it won't recognize it either.

Why won't it recognize external hard drives connected via usb, but it will recognize usb flash drives?  ESPECIALLY when the flash drive is plugged into the computer via the external.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Why won't it recognize external hard drives connected via usb, but it will recognize usb flash drives? 

Did you purchase a 3.5-inch "desktop" external disk-drive, or a 2.5-inch "portable" disk-drive?

The former requires an AC adapter, while the latter draws electrical power from the USB port.

USB drives only require a small amount of electrical power.

Manufacturer? Model?  of your external disk-drive?

So, it could be the case that your computer is not supplying enough wattage.

Does the external disk-drive work when connected to some other computer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have two external hard drives.  One has AC power and one just runs off USB power.  The one that runs off AC power is a Seagate 8TB Backup Plus Hub.  The other is a WD 2TB Passport that runs off USB power only.  Neither is recognized by my desktop.  Both are able to be used with my laptop with no issue.  I plugged the 16gb USB flash drive I have into my Seagate Hub, which was hooked directly into the desktop, and it recognizes the flash drive through the hub, but not the actual hub itself.  I tried plugging the WD passport directly into the desktop and into the Hub and it didn't recognize it either way.  It's baffling to think I need to go get a 256gb flash drive for the desktop to recognize it and be large enough to hold the files.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I plugged the 16gb USB flash drive I have into my Seagate Hub, which was hooked directly into the desktop, and it recognizes the flash drive through the hub ...

That makes sense -- a flash-drive needs very little electrical power.

> but not the actual hub itself. 

Correct.  That Seagate hub is designed to be "transparent" -- Windows should NOT detect it as a "plug-and-play" device.

Note that the one USB port on your computer (the one connected to the Seagate hub) must supply electrical power to all the devices connected to the hub.

So, it is best to connect a "portable" external disk-drive directly to a USB port on the computer, to get the maximum amount of electrical power to it.

It is also best to connect a "desktop" external disk-drive directly to a USB port, even though this device has its own power-supply.

See: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seagate-STEL8000200-Backup-Plus-HUB-8TB-External-Desktop-Hard-Drive-HDD-in...

This specific device is "a backup device plus a hub".  This is NOT what you have?  Correct ???

> I tried plugging the WD passport directly into the desktop and into the Hub and it didn't recognize it either way. 

Did you connect it to the desktop BEFORE you powered-on your computer?

When your computer starts, enter BIOS SETUP, and see if the motherboard has detected it.

By "not recognize it", what do you mean?

When Windows is running, there might be a sound-effect and a pop-up window when you connect the Passport.

If you're in the "repair" mode of Windows, you will not get either indication.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I finally got a flash drive large enough to back up my files before resetting my computer.  I had 153gb worth of files to back up and got a 256gb stick.  The computer recognizes the drive, I select it as my back up drive and start the process.  It tries to start and then I get an error saying that the Recovery Manager could not back up my files for 1 of 4 reasons.  All seem to not be true as there is plenty of free space available, it's a compatible drive and the destination device is detected.  The error code I got is: 0xe0ef000e.  I've seen on other threads that I'm getting that error due to an issue with the Master Boot record...which to me is a "duh" moment because that's why I'm trying to back up my computer...because I have a boot issue.

Is there anything I can do at this point to try and save the data on here without resetting the hard drive and/or buying another internal hard drive and hoping I can use the secondary drive as a back up?  I'm 2 external drives and a flash drive into this.  At thispoint I could've just bought a new computer in money spent.  Please help save this data.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation