Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Won't turn on

Compaq 8200 elite
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Press the power button  on my Compaq 8200 elite I get nothing, even changed the power supply, power cord, socket. There is a green light on, on the motherboard. What else can I  check?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Won't turn on

> There is a green light on, on the motherboard.

That indicates that the motherboard is receiving "standby" power from the power-supply.

On some computers, such "standby" power allows one to wiggle the mouse, or touch the space-bar, to "wake" the computer, if those actions are enabled within the BIOS SETUP.

> What else can I  check?

While you have it "open", press the ON/OFF button, and look & listen:

• does the fan on top of the processor start to spin?
  • does pressing the "eject" button on the CD/DVD device cause the tray to open?
  • touch the top of the disk-drive.  Do you feel any vibration?  Is the disk-drive "cold" or "warm"? Do you hear the motion of the read/write head? Do you hear any "clunking" sounds from the disk-drive?

?

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation