2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Workstation Z820 not booting randomly

HP Recommended
Workstation Z820
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello;

At my work I have a Z820 workstation acquired with a Zeiss microscope in 2014.

In 2016 one day the PC didn't boot (fans did a lot of noise but no signal in the monitor), the PC was sent to Zeiss reseller and he desassembled and assembled and the PC was fine.

Somemonthe ago, the same problem occurred. We desassembled main and easy components (with green markers), re-aasembled and it worked. 3 weeks ago, (just before holidays), the same problem appeared and the same solution was applied.

The first time no change was done regarding software or hardware. Later (in 2017) memory was added. The problem appears randomly sowe are not able to reproduce it if we which to.

I would like to run the software to check hardware but do not know how to do it in windows 7 (videos in HP site are with windows 10). Tried prssing ESC during booting but after pressing "F2" I am not able to do anything.

Question:

1 - Can I install and run "HP hardware diagnostics windows" that i download from the HP website?

2 - Is there another possibility to fix this issue?

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,693
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> In 2016, one day the PC didn't boot (fans did a lot of noise but no signal in the monitor),

For most PCs, when you power-on, the fan intentionally runs at 100%, for a few seconds, making maximal noise.

Then, the motherboard runs the POST (Power On Self Test).

When the motherboard detects that the temperature of the processor and of the motherboard are "normal", then the motherboard tells the fan to slow down, which makes it run more quietly.

In your case, the POST either did not start, or did not successfully complete.

> the PC was sent to Zeiss reseller and he desassembled and assembled and the PC was fine.

Yes, "intermittent" failures are difficult to identify and resolve.

Of course, by the time the computer reached Zeiss, it had a "cold" temperature, and probably worked fine.

When you received it, again it was "cold", and it probably worked fine.

>  Can I install and run "HP hardware diagnostics windows" that i download from the HP website?

You may try that option.

How old is the computer?

How valuable is the microscope, especially when it is NOT working?

Maybe, it's time to purchase a new, fully-configured, computer from ZEISS, to keep your microscope "useful".

KAKA78
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello;

The PC is from 2013 and it´s quite expensive. For now we just have to desassemble and assemble it again. It's still easy.

One doubt that I have is if the software for hardware status is compatible with windows 7. I will try anyway.

Thank you for answering.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation