RadioResearch
4 2 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

XW9400 BIOS Clock always must be set after power disconnected

HP Recommended
XW9400 Workstation
Other

I have an XP9400 workstation board that actually is doing quite well with Server 2012 R2 and in a gaming case.  I have one problem that is killing me, however, and I am hoping perhaps one of you can shed some light on it.

Each and every time power is disconnected (PSU switched off or cable removed) for more than a couple of minutes, I have to set the date and time again when I boot up.

The BIOS batter is brand new.  The board is a 005 board and the BIOS is 4.04.

I would really appreciate your insight as to what is going on here.  It's driving me even more crazy than normal!

Cheers!

4 REPLIES 4
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 637 1,524
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings RadioResearch,

I am not an HP employee.

I would have suggested trying a new MB battery but you have taken this step.

Is this the only BIOS setting that changes? You should be losing all BIOS settings you may have changed if you have a problem with the MB. Or are you resetting the date and time in the operating system?

Is the operating system Time Zone set correctly?

If so, this is a very strange symptom.

I would check for a BIOS update from HP to see if that helps.

Tom

0 Kudos
RadioResearch
Author
4 2 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi Tom,

Indeed, all saved BIOS data goes away and default data must be used. I then have to set the date/time again and change/save certain BIOS settings.

The battery is brand new. I like this unit and would hate to change from it but I must get this fixed.

Thank you again for your help!
RR
0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 637 1,524
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi RR

You're very welcome.

Try a BIOS update if it is available.

Best wishes.

Tom

0 Kudos
RadioResearch
Author
4 2 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, I must make a correction:  current BIOS is 4.03, and there are no updated available.

Surely someone out there must have had this happen to them?  It comes up with errors 161/162 about a corruption and the date/time.  Once set again, they stay as long as power is not removed, despite the CMOS battery being brand new.

I would tend to think that if it was a board issue, it would manifest itself in other ways as well.

Sucks to be me.  If anyone else has some insight, please share!

RR

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation