Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Linux

Hi,

I have the same trouble as here , but unfortunately removing/plugging back the 4 memory modules lot of times did nothing.

I am nearly in the same configuration (Z230 SFF/NVIDIA NVS 315).
The machine worked perfectly, and suddenly (I just displaced it to another room, so switched it off a few hours) it did not boot any more. The led is fixed blue, nothing on the monitor, just one loud beep ~20 seconds after boot, no BIOS, nothing on the network -both led are lit-, the hard disk led blinks a bit, it simple does not boot.
Any help is appreciated

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Does not look promising.

Try another wall outlet or a different multiple circuit outlet.

That link about reseating the memory chips is what normally works.

Pull the chips out and use duster to blow dust from sockets and look for debris.  

Try only one stick of memory in the #1 slot. then add a second to the #2

BeemerBiker_0-1647880903476.png

Could the system have been dropped or tipped over and fallen?  A sudden jar could shift some pins that the CPU is connected to.  It is a lot of trouble but before discarding the system I would try reseating the CPU and trying the hairdryer trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rwWIQloTAA

There are repair centers you can take it to and get an estimate but for an older system, I suspect the cost might exceed buying a replacement motherboard.  It appears you power supply is working but if you have a voltmeter verify you have 12 and 5 on the molex connector.,  If you have add-on video board then remove and use the built-in graphics. 

1) for repair
https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device.
4) Select the country from the drop-down.
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences.
6) Fill the web form and proceed further.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Hi @BeermerBiker,

Thank you for your help.

I've been trying directly from a wall outlet, nothing different.

The pc has been refurnished, so it is clean, I had even not noticed it, but it is dustless (I all the same checked it and used my duster anyway). I remember extracting a small piece of debris when trying to relocate the graphic card on the other PCIe lane, though it looked like a tiny piece from a plastic card, without interest (and would have come from other side of the motherboard !?). Anyhow, it reminded me ... I bought the machine in september 2021, and it has a 12 months guarantee, maybe will I be lucky in the end.

Then I tried one stick in #1 slot : nothing different.

Then I tried adding another stick in #2 slot : nothing different.

I've heard about that hairdryer trick (or heat gun, or oven also for graphic card with BGA connections) ... I'll try it in the end 🙂 .

I measured the voltage, and it's a bit low : 11.40V and 4.40V : would it mean the PSU is fading ?

But I do notice a damaged cable on the Power COMM connector :

IMG_20220321_214401.jpg
There is 4.40V all the same : can it have an impact? I am not able to fix this cable (probably damaged because this part seemed to be a bit crushed by the cables attached to the tilting accessories bloc).

Unfortunately no integrated graphics, though I tried ingenuously all the 3 display ports. Btw, maybe can the D-sub serial connector be used for debbuging ? I have a D-sub to USB cable, but I saw nothing (with the linux screen package). But as the computer switches off instantaneously when the power button is pressed, I assume it has not reached the BIOS, so there's nothing to see here neither?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.