Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z400 thermal shutdown

HP Z400
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello everybody! When I start my Z400 workstation it beeps two times and blinkes red two times. According to the manual it meens that a thermal shutdown has occurred (at the same time, the beep-flash cycle must be repeated five times as I understand). I've checked all coolers on other systmes (all are in good condition) and tried to replace each of them. But the problem remains. Any ideas? Thanks for spending your time on my problem 🙂

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z400 thermal shutdown

Disconnect the AC power.

If a laptop, and if you can, remove the battery.

Hold-down the ON/OFF button for ten seconds, to "drain" any residual electricity.

Use a pencil to tap a fan-blade, to see if the fan spins freely.

Check that the wires from the fan are securely connected to some "header" on the motherboard.

What is the ambient room temperature? Fairbanks or Daytona Beach? Trying to cool a computer in a hot room can be difficult.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
3,322 3,314 281 662
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z400 thermal shutdown

you should post the workstation question in the workstation forum

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/bd-p/Business-PC-W...

are you using the correct HP heatsink?  please post the number off the cooler

which cpu are your using? i  need the xeon model number

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z400 thermal shutdown

The coolers were tested on other stations, they are in good conditions, fans spin freely. The room in conditioned :generic: (OFF: Daytona Beach...It's a good place to work :generic:) and average temperature is close to 70F

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z400 thermal shutdown

Heatsink hasn't been changed since the purchase of the station (p/n 463981-001). CPU W3520

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
3,322 3,314 281 662
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z400 thermal shutdown

you may have a failing motherboard rather than a cpu/heatsink issue

i have 2 z820 motherboards here which power up for about 2/3 min then power off no matter what cpu/heatsink/pwr supply/ram is installed

still, i would try redoing the thermal past between the cpu and cooler, just remember not to overdo the thermal paste

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z400 thermal shutdown

Enter BIOS SETUP.

Look for an option to "reset" that warning.

Some motherboards have additional hardware that detects when the side-panel is removed, to indicate that the computer may have been "tampered" with.  On such a motherboard, you must enter BIOS SETUP, after investigating the tampering, to "clear" that warning, and thus to "re-arm" the sensor for the next time.

I am wondering if your motherboard has similar hardware, that just ONCE detected "over-temp", and that you need to "reset" the motherboard, to prepare for the next occurrence of the event.

Save/Exit from BIOS SETUP, and power-off. Power-on, and see if the messages still is produced.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z400 thermal shutdown

I also supposed mobo problems, but still keep hope alive :generic:

Thermal past was replaced during our first attempts to solve the issue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z400 thermal shutdown

I'd like to enter BIOS, but the station doesn't even reach the end of POST

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
3,322 3,314 281 662
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z400 thermal shutdown

get a can of cold spray, and start at one corner cooling parts down, with short bursts of spray while trying to power on

you might be able to pinpoint "the/a " failing part on the board this way

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation