Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just transplanted a HP 420 MOTHERBOARD into a thermaltake jasper v24 case. After I headache reading hp manuals I was able to connect power SW, hdd Led, etc BUT reset pq I couldn't. I read somebody said RESET button is not needed on this motherboard. I'm ok with that. Now after getting the MoBo powered on I have this screen 

20210204_235257.jpg

 3. 0 port is connected and all fans are working properly so, I don't understand.

Thanks in advance for all your help. Sorry sideways picture. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

20210204_235257.jpg

HP Recommended

20210205_120256.jpg

HP Recommended

The Z420 motherboard detects the presence of I/O and fans.

You cannot bypass theese warnings permanently in Bios, but you can always press F1 to ignore the warning and continue to boot.

Otherwise you will need to continue the transplant process and move the I/O and fans as well.

( You can use other 4-pin fans, as long as they aren't too slow. ( errors and/or throttling will occur. )

Other HP Z420 transplant surgeons reading this should be warned before buying a new case for their Z420.

This isn't an easy task since the Z420 motherboard doen't comply exactly with ATX specs.

( mounting holes in the middle of the board are located a bit different than normal ATX! )

Also the HP-PSU is physically larger than standard ATX and the motherboard connection uses special signaling.

=> Using a normal ATX PSU is possible, but only with a special adapter cable.

The CPU fan connector is proprietary ( an extra tacho connection is used to verify that the waterpump is running. )

On systems without watercooling a jumper on the connector "mirrors" the fan speed to trick the fan/pump -monitoring.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.