Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z620 won't boot

Hp Z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently added a riser card to my z620 and it will not boot.  System is unresponsive and will not display anything.

If I remove the riser card it functions as normal.  Any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z620 won't boot

> Any suggestions?

1. Remove the card, and then re-seat it, being careful to fully insert it.

2. Try the card in some other computer.

3. Enter BIOS SETUP, and check the IRQ assignments, for a possible "conflict".

It's probably best to set the IRQs to "automatic", but record the values before you change anything.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z620 won't boot

1,3: I tried reseating and checked for IRQ, its set to auto.

2: I do not have another z620

Multithread is enabled in bios, as it was enabled before adding the riser.

I do not actually have a cpu or ram on this second riser.  But wanted to keep it installed in the system.  Do I need to have a second cpu installed for the system to boot with the riser in place?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z620 won't boot

@aunsoenr wrote:

I do not actually have a CPU or RAM on this second riser. 

But wanted to keep it installed in the system. 

Do I need to have a second cpu installed for the system to boot with the riser in place?

Some risers exist to add-in additional PCI adapter cards, but your riser seems to be specifically for a quite-different reason. I think that you are correct -- fully "populating" the riser will allow the system to boot, and removing the rise will allow the system to boot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z620 won't boot

I ordered a matching set of e5-2670 v1 cpus, install the riser added the CPU and heard a bang, the system would not boot.  I removed the riser and second cpu, tested the second cpu on the first slot and it was dead.  Two memory modules (dimm 5 and 6) also died.

I suspect the riser may be faulty.  It seems that some z620 come with the riser already installed and without the second cpu.  

Any way to confirm this?  

The system works fine with the single cpu, riser removed, and replaced the damaged memory modules.  I am guessing dimm 5 and 6 are controlled by the second cpu?

Really could use some advise from someone who knows the z620 system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
3,328 3,320 283 666
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z620 won't boot

this workstation question should be posted in the workstation forum

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/bd-p/Business-PC-W...

the z620 will run with the riser installed as long as the riser has no cpu or ram installed

your riser appears to be defective. it may be cost efective to buy a system that has the riser card installed, and sell or part out your current system to recover most of the cost of the replacement system

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z620 won't boot

Makes sense that the system should boot with a riser without any cpu or ram since you can buy them that way.  So definately the riser was defective.  I ended up returning both the riser.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation