cancel
Ashleigh-Paul Tutor
Tutor
6 6 0 5
Message 11 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z820 Bricked Bios after Firmware update

Not sure about the 420, maybe different jumpers, the ones on the z820 are the only jumpers that are NOT detailed on the jumper list on the case.
0 Kudos
jr90 Top Student
Top Student
6 4 0 1
Message 12 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for the reply. The thing is that on the z420 are not detailed either. For the z820 the designator E15 is called BIOS Crisis Recovery Header.

But on the z420 E15 is called ROM bootblock recovery header. I think you are right and the BIOS crisis header on the z420 is a different one.

I just cannot believe that I simply tried to update the BIOS with the HPQFlash ultility and it rendered the whole system unusable. The problem is that the z420 is not under warranty anymore. It was working perfectly fine right before I tried the update.

0 Kudos
Ashleigh-Paul Tutor
Tutor
6 6 0 5
Message 13 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same issue, and HP wanted 800gbp for a new motherboard! Just lucky that a bit of fiddling sorted it for me.

There has to be a similar recovery on the 400 series, also play around with the USB port you use, it HAS to be one of the USB2 ports, not the TI USB3 ones.
0 Kudos
jr90 Top Student
Top Student
6 4 0 1
Message 14 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi I tried on all the USB ports but it doesn't recognize the USB stick.

This morning I had access to a different working z420 and I could see that:

The E15 designator jumper is placed on pins 2-3 for the z420 to boot normally, if I place the jumper on pins 1-2 it goes into recovery mode. If I remove the jumper completely it boots normally as if I had it on pins 2-3.

On my z420 the behabiour is completely different:

If I place the E15 jumper on pins 2-3 it tries to boot and then shuts down within 1 second on a bootloop repeatedly. On/Off contanly until I hard press the power button to shut it down completely.

If I place the jumper on pins 1-2 it switches on with no video output to the monitor and after 1 minute all the fans go into full speed.

Could It be hardware related? Some component has failed and is preventing the machine to boot up?

I am checking at moment, possible causes for On/Off repeatedly on a loop.

I am just baffled that something hardware wise could have been affected by a BIOS update.

0 Kudos
Ashleigh-Paul Tutor
Tutor
6 6 0 5
Message 15 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It might well be, in recovery mode does the red light at the back flash? If it does then could t the fast flashes, it loops so count them. That will tell you if there's a hardware failure, 8 is bios failed if memory is right.
0 Kudos
gerulag Tutor
Tutor
5 3 1 0
Message 16 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello and congratulations!

I have successfully upgraded a Z620 from BIOS 3.91 to BIOS 3.92!

Imagine my horror when I upgraded a Z820 from BIOS 3.91 to BIOS 3.92 and received the blue screen with stop:unsupported processor! The BIOS updates are different for the Z620 and the Z820, even though the result is 3.92!

Anguish and defeat for many days until I discovered this EUREKA!!!! possible solution!

Yes it helped me, but in the following manner!

I could not upgrade to 3.92 since even though during POST 3.92 was indicated, it failed to access the drives and the blue screen with stop: Unsupported processor appeared!

I was no further ahead, but I must try to reinstall BIOS 3.91 using the Ashleigh-Paul technique! Eureka, BIOS 3.91 reinstalled, access to all drives re-established and all Windows updates installed!

Now curiosity compelled me to retry BIOS3.91 to BIOS 3.92 upgrade! Foolish move, POST indicated BIOS 3.92, BUT BLUE SCREEN and STOP: UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR! Now my conclusion is that the sp84162 containing BIOS 3.92 is corrupted!

Thanks to Ashleigh-Paul, I re-installed BIOS 3.91 and am sending you this from my restored Z820!

I too could not find any literature regarding the Crisis Jumper even though it is indicated in the Maintenance Manual!

Once again, well done and congratulations Ashleigh-Paul, and my HP Z820 agrees every time it powers up!

0 Kudos
Ashleigh-Paul Tutor
Tutor
6 6 0 5
Message 17 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No problems, glad I could help.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation