Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

after downloading recent update for Window 10 Keyboard and Mouse do not work

HP Pavilion p6710f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Computer will boot up, when it comes to a screen asking to "Choose your keyboard layout" I cannot choose the right option using the Mouse or the Keyboard

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your motherboard: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02560084

has four USB 2.0 ports, but, since it was manufactured starting in November 2010, it does not have any USB 3 ports.  So, that's not an issue.

Does the USB mouse work correctly, when connected to a different computer?

Does the USB keyboard work correctly, when connected to a different computer?

Just before  "Choose your keyboard layout", is there any lit-up lamps on the keyboard?

If you have a "laser" mouse, is it glowing red on the bottom?

At the  "Choose your keyboard layout prompt, have those lamps gone "dark" ?

When you power-on the computer, do any of the ESC or F1 or F2 or F10 or F11 or F12 keyboard keys work?

Did you recently unplug the keyboard and/or the mouse, and then reconnect them to different USB ports?

It is possible that the new "location" for those USB devices may take Windows 15 to 30 seconds to recognize them, and to load the correct device-drivers.  During that time, the keyboard and/or the mouse will be "dead".

Do you have an iPod or iPad or iPhone with the charging-cable that has a USB connector at one end?

Use that cable to connect the device to a USB port, and see if the device reports that it is charging, receiving electrical power delivered from the computer's USB port through the cable to the device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response, I will answer your questions in order.

Mouse works correctly when connected to different computer.

Keyboard works correctly when connected to different coomputer.

All lamps are on both mouse and keyboard

Lamps go dark just before "Choose your keyboard layout" screen comes up.

ESC F1 etc. keys all work when computer is powered on.

No i did not.

Phone was connected to USB port and is recieving power.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Lamps go dark just before "Choose your keyboard layout" screen comes up.

This is a sign that Windows has loaded a device-driver for motherboard's USB hardware, but the device-driver is not compatible.  Or, that Windows has not loaded a device-driver, after disabling the "minimal" USB support that the motherboard supplies at "power-on" time.

> After downloading recent update for Windows 10

Can you please be more specific?

Windows 10 is a "service", with monthly security-updates.

Which major release of Windows were you running -- '1510' or '1607' before this problem arose?

Did you download that software as the "generic" release, directly from Microsoft's web-site?

Was your computer originally shipped with Windows 10?

A while ago, did you update to a newer release via Windows Update, or via doing a "clean" install of that "generic" version?

Now, are you trying to update via the "Windows Upgrader" software, or via a "clean install" from that "generic" major release?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 is the operating system on my computer, the update was provided by Microsoft to update the system

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MMaurice wrote:

Windows 10 is the operating system on my computer, the update was provided by Microsoft to update the system

Are you trying to update via the "Windows Upgrader" software, or via a "clean install" from that "generic" major release, or via an update provided through Windows Update?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

At shut down of my computer I was asked if I wanted to update and shut down, shut down, or restart. This has always been the case since Microsoft installed Windows 10 in place of Windows 7.  I do not have any software installed to upgrade windows nor have I downloaded any updates from 3rd party providers.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation