Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 23-h009 AIO desktop
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

It seems many people are having this black screen issue for both older and newer models.

I've been having the same problem for some weeks now and I have had this computer since 2014/15. Anyway, in the past few weeks it will power on sometimes it loads windows and all is well and at times it got to a black screen and no further.

The last time it worked was at the end of February and since then all I get is the power light on and hear the fan humming but nothing but a black screen.

I tried the 15 sec hard reset the first time I had the problem. That worked once only. 

The time I had it running I did a full 5-hour system test and everything passed. So what could be the problem then? I really do need some help here.

F10 will not work so I could disable power management to see if that would work.

Any suggestion(s) please?

HP Pavilion 23-h009; Win 8.1
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

CMOS/RTC battery?

The CPU is failing?

HP Recommended

Oh dear. That would truly suck right now.

How can I tell if it's one or the other considering I am not able to access any part of the computer?

HP Recommended

So I opened the computer and checked the memory -that much I can do comfortably.

I reseated them, no change. I removed the top one and surely, the computer starts with only the one in the bottom slot. I moved it to the top slot with none in the bottom slot and I got 5 beeps every couple of seconds or so.

Put it back in the bottom slot and the computer starts fine. Then I powered off and on again and nothing happened this time no matter how I interchanged the RAM sticks.

So except for those 2 'false starts' I am back to square one.

So if there is nothing in the bottom slot, and 1 Ram stick in the upper slot, a lot of beeping. Both RAM in and no sound and no display.

I can and will change the battery and the RAM but I will need some guidance re the CPU if that is going to be my next step.

One Ram in the bottom slot and it nodded two half hearted hellos and revert to dark silence.

Nobody is taking a computer nowadays with COVID lurking in every corner so I'm on my own and is prepared to help myself -just need a bit of direction from the experts here.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.