Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp z220 workstation
Other

I am reinstalling windows 7 for a work buddy on his cousin old z220 workstation. It had windows 7 on it. The hard drive was wiped out. I can't access bios now and before the hard drive was wiped.    I have no idea why this happening.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello
The disk of the was erased, what do you mean?
Does the computer at least start?
How do you try to access the bios?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I formatted the hard drive. Heres the  problem, I could never access the bios even when the previous windows was installed. There s no option on the screen. The computer doesnt start it just turns on.

HP Recommended

Sorry, but be more specific
you said you formatted the drive, so the computer was working before that?
how did you proceed?
You, have never been able to open the bios, but failed, you do not know how to open it?
why have formatted the HDD (if there is a problem with the HDD, maybe good to know!)
In case, it can work, if the computer is not out of order.
can you try, install windows, on the HDD with another computer, put it back and try in the Z220?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I removed the hard drive and formatted it using another computer. The computer was working fine before I formatted the hard drive. The reason why I formatted the hard drive was it needed a password for windows, which was unkown.

Yeah, I can try installing windows using another computer.

HP Recommended

🤞

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Yesterday, I tried installing windows 7 ( it was originally on the computer) using my main computer and the hp desktop is still refusing to boot and even post. I verified the ssd is fine by connecting it via usb.

Anything else I can try?

HP Recommended

No idea at the moment

[edit]

@mojo71  I did not ask you?
If you remove the SSD, can you boot and go to the bios?
Finally, it is an SSD, not an HDD ?!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Yeah, I should of mentioned it. I just tried to boot bios without the ssd attached and I got nothing. With the ssd attached I get one long beep.

HP Recommended

No big deal, it doesn't change much
See with the document here, I didn't find a good match, with your code, but I scanned quickly
(if it is this model !?)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04205252.pdf

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z220-small-form-factor-workstation/5260568/manuals

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.