Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP? does not say

fathers computer I got from his apartment last april when he died. No mdl number listed. In bios I set boot to optical drive, but upon  boot it says there is no optical drive. Ran the diagnostic and it said optical drive is ok. Yes there is an original optical drive in this unit.

ideas?

tks,

paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well that does sound similar to the way the BIOS should come up.  Tapping the Esc key at boot up should bring up a menu where you can then enter the BIOS from that menu instead of the boot startup.  It might be of the vintage where you need to disable UEFI and enable Legacy boot.

This might help

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653226

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Depending on the age of this PC, the optical drive might not show as a boot device unless there is a bootable media in the drive.  When you go into the BIOS, it should tell the choices, if it does not show up in the setup menu.  I would think the model number of the PC would be listed while in the BIOS pages, too.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
Tks. I mistoke. I was tapping delete key during boot and it did not go into the bios. Up popped a boot choice screen and I chose the optical drv. Then when I continued, the next screen said "boot device not found."

I had a win7 install disk in the optical drv.

If I let it boot up normally, it displays Dad's name and asks for his login pswd.

What key should I press to get into bios?

He bought the computer new in November 2017.

Tks,
Paul
HP Recommended

Well that does sound similar to the way the BIOS should come up.  Tapping the Esc key at boot up should bring up a menu where you can then enter the BIOS from that menu instead of the boot startup.  It might be of the vintage where you need to disable UEFI and enable Legacy boot.

This might help

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653226

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

thanks. now I have another issue. Yesterday when i plugged it in, it powered up. Today im looking and cant find the physical power on button. I even unplugged it for 10 minutes, but upon plugging it back in, it's still off. the HP user manual does not say.

HP sites says where the label is but that was incorrect. I found it elsewhere:

Serial number:  [edited] Product number: V9B64AA HP All-in-One - 24-e025t

paul

HP Recommended

found switch

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.