Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP desktop wireless all in one desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I get the following message when I start my computer:

Black screen reads:

checking media presence

media present

start pXE over IPv4

start PXE over IPv6

In a couple of minutes my computer will start.  I have run tests on my hard drive and it is ok.  I have also, at HP's request uninstalled and then installed a new operating system, but nothing seems to solve the problem.  Can anyone give me detailed steps on how to solve this problem?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

The obvious answer is NO, because you have run a full diagnostic (ESC + F2) and your Hard Disk is not at fault.

Nor is the operating system apparently.

So it is either a BIOS setting that needs changing, or the BIOS itself.

BIOS Boot One.png

As you can see the Network Adapter is last in the list to be considered, so perhaps you need to re-arrange the Boot Sequence.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

@CF4is correct.  Sometime earlier the BIOS was set to boot from something other than the hard drive as first choice.  The messages posted in the first post mean the boot manager is looking for a network source as the boot source. 

Enter the BIOS by tapping Esc as the physical start button is pressed.  Keep tapping Esc 1-2 times a second.  There should then be a popup menu appear.  Pick boot menu or startup menu and reset the choices to indicate the internal hard drive as the first choice.  Save that choice if it asks,  then the PC should restart.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.  I  arranged it so the hard drive is first on the list and the PXE over IPv4 and PXE over IPv6 are last on the list.  The computer boots up fine now.  Does this mean my computer is fine now?

HP Recommended

Yes, it should be fine.  Whatever or whomever changed the boot order - it is back to normal.

If this particular symptom happens again, then you know what to do.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

i did that but now im stuck at a blinking cursor what do i do?

@TheOldMan

HP Recommended

@harrystef, your problem may be something else.  Please indicate what the model number and what the problem is.  Start by telling what happens and the steps you have taken previously.  It might be better to start a new thread instead of tagging in with something entirely different.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.