Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion s5753w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

System is HP Pavilion s5753w. Computer went into ‘automatic  repair”. Windows logo comes on, then  system locks up on a “choose you key board layout’. Did a hard shutdown. Next, ESC=please select boot drive , F9=diagnostic (every thing ok), F10 =Setup (esc w/no changes), F11=System Recovery (no options available), F12=Boot from LAN (again no options). I have no boot disk to use in ESC and F11 is no help. Where do I go from here? Down load a does all boot disk from HP? Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be see if you can reinstall W10 using the Media Creation Tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can make a W10 USB flash drive installer using an 8 GB flash drive using another Windows PC, since your PC is not working.

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation, check the 'Skip' box and W10 will  install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet, since Microsoft has a record of you having previously upgraded to W10.

Here are the steps to create the W10 USB flash drive installer...

1. Select Download tool now, and select Run.
  2. If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.
  3. On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.
  4. Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10.

5. Select which media you want to use:
  6. USB flash drive.  Plug in a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be see if you can reinstall W10 using the Media Creation Tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can make a W10 USB flash drive installer using an 8 GB flash drive using another Windows PC, since your PC is not working.

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation, check the 'Skip' box and W10 will  install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet, since Microsoft has a record of you having previously upgraded to W10.

Here are the steps to create the W10 USB flash drive installer...

1. Select Download tool now, and select Run.
  2. If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.
  3. On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.
  4. Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10.

5. Select which media you want to use:
  6. USB flash drive.  Plug in a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.

HP Recommended

Paul, I finally managed to make a USB. I guess the next step will be go to F10 setup and add the USB then go to ESC and select USB as first boot right? Also, am I deleting files or other program and extensions, or is this like a system restore or a safe mode?

Khicks1475  

HP Recommended

Hi:

This will reinstall W10.

You will have to reinstall programs and files.

If you need to retrieve your files (documents, photos, music, etc.), install windows over the current Windows partition, and it will create a Windows.old folder.  Do not delete or format any partitions.

After windows installs, you can explore the windows.old folder, find your old user profile and copy the folders in the old profile to the new one.  Then your files will be transferred to the new installation.

When you are sure you have all the files you need, you can delete the windows.old folder by running the disk cleanup utility.

Then check the cleanup system files button on the lower left side of the disk cleanup window.

The utility will run again, and you can check all of the boxes to delete the unnecessary files.

To boot from the USB flash drive, you can tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the menu of options.  Select the F9 boot options menu from the list, and from that, select the USB flash drive and press the enter key.

You can also try and repair the current installation by clicking on the repair windows link on the bottom left side of the Install Now screen.  I have usually been unsuccessful using the repair options, but you have nothing to lose by trying them.

HP Recommended

Thank's Paul it took me a day, but I was able to save 95% of my programs and files.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is good news.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.