Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

desktop freez

m9400f
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

recently when I turn ON the computer it works for about 20 minutes and then the display freezes, mouse works for a while and even the sound works for another minutes and then voice goes off. mouse after a while freezes, keyboard does not work although caplock works. There is no way except pushing the power for 5 seconds and then turn on again. this time it works fine as long as I do not turn it OFF. I did chkdsk and checked all drivers to be updated. changed video card and power supplu but does the same. It is always like that. I do not see any conflicts or exclamation mark. Event viewer does not show anything major. I even updated the sound card driver but no luck.  This computer worked fine for a long time and I do not know what caused it. Please let me know what is causing this. 

Thanks

Abe

[Personal Information Removed]

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
26,562 26,517 2,205 3,376
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

desktop freez

@Abekan

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the desktop is freezing at times,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you attempt to run a extensive system test on the PC to identify the issue?

Have you replaced the video card and power supply via HP or was it locally?

While you respond to that, I recommend that you run an extensive test: Click here for details.

Reply back with the results.

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

desktop freez

Thanks for response. As far as changes, I changed video card and power supply from my other computer which has no issue. I took them out and replaced but still same problem in m9400f. As far as running the extensive, I did but I prefer to do it again and give you the results soon.

Regards

Abe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

desktop freez

Please let me know what is difference between turning the computer ON and when it freezes turn it ON. It seems it never freezes after it was shut by holding the power button and turn On again. Does anything change? or differ from regular turn ON?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

desktop freez

@Abekan

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

It could be an issue with the user profile, have you attempted to create a different user profile and then shut down using the start menu to check the difference,

If the issue doesn't occur I suggest you transfer the contents of your old account to the new one,

However, if the issue persists, I recommend you reinstall the windows if all the tests pass:

Click here for instructions.

Let me know if those steps worked for you,

If they did, that's awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

desktop freez

Hi

Today I tried to do the extensive test. However, when I repeatedly press F2 the new window is not the diagnostic UEFI . It is something different. I did it several times. This window was installed by myself a few years ago and maybe does not have the UEFI. What to do?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

desktop freez

@Abekan

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Since the test page is inaccessible, please proceed with the OS re-installation,

And if that doesn't work, I recommend you order a recovery media from HP to install a fresh copy of the windows to resolve these issues: Click here for details.

Alternatively, you can also contact HP to get the recovery media:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation